Wednesday, April 12, 2006

All Quiet

I'm still here, still sober, still hanging on. I'm going to start looking for another job, and at the same time I'm finally working towards getting the business started. Most of my time, though, has been eaten up by work, or by recovering from work, and so I've not had much energy. I hate my job, and it's precisely because it's so inoffensive and bland and unexciting. It's like living on three meals a day of unsalted crackers and water. You -can- live that way, but there's not much joy in it.

I've also been thinking about how I need to start preparing for the rest of my life. It occurs to me that I'm quite likely going to die alone, and that's not a pearl-clutching "poor-me" statement; it's a statement of a very likely fact. LJ, even if he does stay around, will not outlive me; he's already leaning heavily towards some serious health problems. I'm not going to have kids to take care of me, and I've got no siblings, and thus no nieces and nephews. I'm not close to my extended family, and my mother will be 77 on her next birthday, and my closest friends live far away. There is not going to be anyone to take care of me when I'm old, and I need to start preparing for that eventuality. I need to think about money, and where it's going to come from; about appointing someone to make decisions for me in case I can't, or to look out for me when I'm no longer able to look out for myself. And these are all good, motivational-type thoughts, in a way-- but in another way they're not, since they all invoke the specter of being, at the end of my life, all alone. It's not a happy thought, but there's not much about it I can change.

You know what I think about most, when I think about the end of my life? I think about all the things that mean something to me. I think about the afghans I've crocheted, the quilts I've made, the books that used to be JP's; I think of all the pottery I painted with Firefly, and all the little artsy things I've done since. I've been spending a lot of time in thrift stores lately--there's a great one just down the street from Dr. J's office--and I see a lot of things that I know once meant a lot to someone. Cookbooks, for example; today I bought a cookbook from 1948, autographed by the author, with a bookmark in it that was a slip of paper which turned out to be a ticket from a 1961 train trip to Pennsylvania. I see a lot of paintings in the thrift stores, paintings that look like they were done by amateurs; the proprietor tells me that she gets a lot of photo albums with the photos still in them. She and I have talked for a long time about how amazing it is, some of the things that people part with sometimes.

And when I think about it, I think: those must have been people like me--people who, when they died, had no one to leave these things to who would see them for what they were, and how much they'd mattered. I've been guilty myself, I know; some of JP's belongings ended up in the hands of people who couldn't possibly know their importance. But I made it a point not to be stingy with the memories I had of him; I know I wasn't the only one who lost something when he died. And then there were the things that didn't survive the various habits, things I had no business selling. I think about those things sometimes too.

Mostly I think: there's going to be no one else who has my memories, when I'm gone. Huge swaths of time that mean everything to me, and nothing to anyone else, are going to die with me. And maybe that's true of everyone, but somehow I think of everyone else as having someone--a sibling, a child, a partner--to pass some of these memories on to. I'm not going to have any of those things; and then again, so much of it is trivia, little things that wouldn't mean anything if I -did- have someone to pass them on to.

It's almost enough to make me question: what's the worth of doing anything? But then I think: I'm here; I may as well do something, after all, and it may as well be something I enjoy. So I collect my old cookbooks, and hunt through the thrift stores for other people's afghans, which I then take home and rescue from oblivion. Some day they'll go back out into the pool of forgotten objects, along with a few things of my own. Maybe that's just the way of the world.

5 comments:

  1. .
    We work like a horse.
    We eat like a pig.
    We like to play chicken.
    You can get someone's goat.
    We can be as slippery as a snake.
    We get dog tired.
    We can be as quiet as a mouse.
    We can be as quick as a cat.
    Some of us are as strong as an ox.
    People try to buffalo others.
    Some are as ugly as a toad.
    We can be as gentle as a lamb.
    Sometimes we are as happy as a lark.
    Some of us drink like a fish.
    We can be as proud as a peacock.
    A few of us are as hairy as a gorilla.
    You can get a frog in your throat.
    We can be a lone wolf.
    But I'm having a whale of a time!

    You have a riveting web log
    and undoubtedly must have
    atypical & quiescent potential
    for your intended readership.
    May I suggest that you do
    everything in your power to
    honor your encyclopedic/omniscient
    Designer/Architect as well
    as your revering audience.
    As soon as we acknowledge
    this Supreme Designer/Architect,
    Who has erected the beauteous
    fabric of the universe, our minds
    must necessarily be ravished with
    wonder at this infinate goodness,
    wisdom and power.

    Please remember to never
    restrict anyone's opportunities
    for ascertaining uninterrupted
    existence for their quintessence.

    There is a time for everything,
    a season for every activity
    under heaven. A time to be
    born and a time to die. A
    time to plant and a time to
    harvest. A time to kill and
    a time to heal. A time to
    tear down and a time to
    rebuild. A time to cry and
    a time to laugh. A time to
    grieve and a time to dance.
    A time to scatter stones
    and a time to gather stones.
    A time to embrace and a
    time to turn away. A time to
    search and a time to lose.
    A time to keep and a time to
    throw away. A time to tear
    and a time to mend. A time
    to be quiet and a time to
    speak up. A time to love
    and a time to hate. A time
    for war and a time for peace.

    Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
    Dr. Whoami


    P.S. One thing of which I am sure is
    that the common culture of my youth
    is gone for good. It was hollowed out
    by the rise of ethnic "identity politics,"
    then splintered beyond hope of repair
    by the emergence of the web-based
    technologies that so maximized and
    facilitated cultural choice as to make
    the broad-based offerings of the old
    mass media look bland and unchallenging
    by comparison."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's an interesting post...I've thought about the possibility of dying alone too. I've been around death a lot for someone my age...but here's the thing, you most likely have a lot of time in front of you before you die. You don't know what that time is going to bring into your life. So yes you may die alone...or you may have a family and a lot of friends around you when you go. We won't know until we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single last one of us will be forgotten in time - I just learned the first name of my great grandmother this weekend - but that doesn't mean we don't have a lasting impact on the world. It's the moth and the hurricane: something you inadvertantly taught a friend will be passed down to their children, something you did for a stranger will be passed on and passed on and passed on from person to person. Your little eventual bakery will provide the cake for a wedding or bread for a family. Your blog advice to people you've never met will empower them to take mighty leaps.

    That's why it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. liked ka's post a lot. you never know where you had an impact in the tiniest of places. i'm sure your blog has inspired many, for example.

    i've been so on the same thread of thought lately. partly because i'm about to leave every ounce of security i've built around myself to go roam around another continent. mostly i think, it's the age of 35.

    i'm most likely in the same boat. it's scary. almost want to spawn a child just so someone would be there at the end, but what a lousey motivation to have a kid, huh?

    i think there are 2 ways to leave an impact- one is to produce children, the other is to leave a legacy through what you do- like the heros of the world. i guess subconsciously i've always chosen the latter, feeling the first was kinda a copout. but sadly, haven't done much yet w/ my life. sorry- point is, you still CAN leave your mark, do something great. and i still believe you can have a life partner worthy of how great you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depression is a sneaky thing...it makes you feel useless. When in fact we're truely precious and unique creatures.

    ReplyDelete