Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Good News and Bad News

As usual, I have good news and bad news.

The good news: LJ left for an extended trip last night. I can't begin to tell you how amazingly happy that makes me. For the past two weeks, two of his friends have been staying with us, and they are the worst-mannered, messiest, most disgusting and ignorant jackasses I have ever encountered. I will leave to your imaginations the types and varieties of messes that they created, as I'm not interested in making myself sick. But let me tell you: it was GROSS. And as if that wasn't enough, they absolutely made themselves at home--to the point that one of them felt comfortable enough to raid my change jar for cigarette money!! I explained to LJ before he left last night that a)this individual is no longer welcome in this house, and b)when I say "what's mine is ours", that does NOT mean "...and by extension, belongs to all your friends as well."

Also, the rotten bastards ate my ice cream, which is a killing offense at Chez Gladys.

So--good news: LJ and his pet rats are gone.
The bad news: So is my computer.

No, it's not PHYSICALLY gone. In fact, it's sitting here with me at work, where I've taken it in a so-far futile attempt to fix it. But it has taken the Crap to End All Craps, and I am utterly at a loss as to what to do about it. None of the usual methods of handling something like this are working: I can't copy my files to an external drive because it refuses to recognize any drive I've tried. I can't copy them to the network because I'm afraid to plug it in to the work network, lest it have a virus. I can't scan for viruses because it quits in mid-scan. I can't even delete all the temporary files because it keeps finding data errors during "cyclical redundancy checks", which (according to Google) seems to indicate that my hard drive is on its way to Hard Drive Heaven.

I hate it when stuff doesn't work.

Needless to say, a large crimp has been put in my life by the absence of a home computer--although I must say, it will be nice to have that time (the computer time) back for the other things that need doing...who knows? maybe I could get used to this.

Blogging, though, will be sporadic and from work. Which means I won't be able to rhapsodize quite so easily about how UTTERLY THRILLED I am that LJ is gone and I have the house to myself, in blissful peace for me and the kitties. So for the moment, I leave you with a resounding WOO-HOOOO!

1 comment:

  1. I hate when computers crap out... and I hate when computers have "mysterious illnesses" and wont print only certain things as if it has some kind of psychological disorder and hates things dated 7/12 and thus decides not to print those things. frickin pieces of crap...how is this supposed to make our lives easier?

    ReplyDelete