Sunday, June 29, 2008

Please Watch This

(From PostSecret)



I don't think it's any secret that I've been through some less-than-stellar times during the life of this blog. Though I never came out and said it, there was a while there when I wasn't sure how much longer I was going to be able to keep it all together. Thankfully, the chances for an unhappy ending seem to have plummeted; the meds are working (I can say that confidently now) and this particular episode of depression seems to be :::knocks wood, crosses fingers, whacks self in head with horseshoe, eats 4-leaf clover::: over.

There are a lot of people in this world who are nowhere near as blessed and lucky as I have been. There are a lot of people who still need help; people who are on the edge, people a hairsbreadth from ending their lives, who desperately need someone to talk to. To my way of thinking, it would be a shame and a sin to leave these people to the tender mercies of our Federal Government; however, if people don't support Hopeline, that's exactly what may happen. I have friends who have been dragged through the "compassion" of the government's mental-health treatment system; suffice to say that the alleged cure can be far worse than the disease.

Please--support Hopeline. God forbid that I ever find myself in a place so dark that I would need them...but the whims of chemistry are unpredictable. Faced at some future time between putting myself into the hands of the existing government systems, or taking the leap into the Abyss...I can't say for sure that the Abyss wouldn't come out on top. It's a terrifying thought. And right now, Hopeline needs our support. Please help. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Gladys, I just made a donation, and I hope it helps. I'm glad that your starting to feel better too. Good luck, and I'm pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I can, I will make a donation.

    Although this time around (in my depression) I'm not having active suicidal ideation, my psychiatrist did point out that wishing for cancer so that I could take a break from my life was a pretty close substitute.

    ReplyDelete