Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Yeah, Well, This One Ain't Much Better.

I would like to sell my brain.

Actually I'd be willing to barter; my screwed-up brain for a more reliable, less fucked-up model. Preferably something without total recall; or at least, with controllable total recall. I would like to be able to cut it off when it starts heading in certain unprofitable directions.


I wonder sometimes if I'm going to spend the rest of my life wishing for a few months in my mid-20's. The longer it goes, the more I'm pretty sure that's how it's gonna be. Even when everything seeems to be going right, I never feel happy like I used to. And I really, really hope this isn't what the next 20 or 30 or 50 years is going to be--although maybe it's a good thing I DON'T know, because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the answer.

Then I think, well, it could be worse--I could be Tim, who got locked up again for his ...fourth? fifth? DUI...and wrecked his friend's car (god, I am SO glad I don't have a car)...

I don't know which is worse. Being totally irresponsible with no regard for other people's property or your own well-being; or living a life that feels like it's already over, with just the work left to do. I don't know, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

3 comments:

  1. I would rather be you than be Tim. He's a mess all-around. You're not. You think you are, but you're not, Gladys. It could always be so much worse.

    When you aren't looking for it...that's when you'll find the peace you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G,
    will you Puh-lease come here!
    we can monsterbond and stuff ourselves with Mexican food and margaritas as big as your head.

    did you see the Dr?
    please don't give up.
    hugs.
    and for god's sake, CALL ME
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it from a really old broad...one day, years from now....you will recognize how much of your life was wasted on "could have been"....pick yourself up yet again, dust yourself off and look forward instead of back, sweetheart! There are many adventures left in your life...start looking for them!!! I see your strength in your writing...you are an amazing woman...quit selling yourself short!
    Debbie (COL)

    ReplyDelete