Monday, December 6, 2010

Surfacing

Okay, you can stop panicking--I'm still alive. Pissed-off, unemployed, and plagued by cats--but alive.

Yes, that says "unemployed". The sleep apnea kicked back in--although for the majority of the time, both CR and I were convinced that it was actually narcolepsy (I was talking in my sleep, walking around and falling asleep on my feet; apparently, I was even digging poor CR with my pointy elbows at night!!)--and even though I went in for the sleep studies and got a doctor's letter to explain that I was in treatment for the problem, I was told that it was not an acceptable letter because it did not specify accommodations that could be made by the employers. Then they made it into a performance issue, claiming that my tickets were not being closed in a timely manner; the final straw came in the second week of October, when a member of my own department, one who I'd considered a friend, ratted me out to my boss and my boss's boss, telling them that I was sleepy while working on her computer. I was sent home "to get some rest" and was fired over the phone that afternoon. There are several other aspects of the situation which are ALSO bullshit; those will come up as I think of them.

Actually, though, that's pretty much the bulk of the bad news. CR is still here; I now have a car (Mom got tired of her oil-burning little Saturn and decided to buy a new car, and thus I got the oil-burner); the cats are fine, I'm happy being out of work for seven or eight weeks so far; we cashed in my 401k and so we have enough to live on for at least a few months. I'm looking for jobs, but I'm not looking terribly hard--I have some ideas percolating, along with a promise I made to myself long ago, about this being my FINAL office job.

There's more, of course, and this time I really WILL update more often; CR's presence here has been EXTREMELY helpful in getting me off my portly, unmotivated butt and at least TRYING to do something with my strengths.

Meanwhile, thank you to those of you who wrote, commmented, or just wondered where I was; I'm not sure WHERE I was; apparently, though, I was SOMEWHERE, and as far as I can tell, I've come back in one piece, and a bit better for the ride. I'll be back soon, with more stories--which is always, always a good thing.

5 comments:

  1. Have just stumbled upon your blog. New to blogger. Sounds as if you have more time to blog now - huh? Am looking forward to your musings

    So tell us, what inspires you? How are you going to avoid another office job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, well...you're ALIVE! Amen! I was beginning to think you were dead. Seriously.

    I'm glad you're not working at that place anymore. I don't think your heart was in it anyway. Perhaps you'll be able to find your niche and continue working on elevenevele. Maybe?

    I missed you, Gladys. Please stop making me worry every time you're absent for extended periods of time. Now that you're not working, I hope you can update your blog more. I was seriously worried.

    You're a stinker, Gladys Cortez. And you sound so happy. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought maybe you and Robert Feder had eloped. Now you've both resurfaced. I'm glad of it and scold you about making your readers worry.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I was worried, even though I didn't comment. I lost my job in September, and I left a relieved and happy person. I'm still looking. I'm glad you have CR to keep you motivated.

    ReplyDelete