Thursday, March 9, 2006

Prrrrrrt?

Okay, it's now OFFICIALLY official:

I do not understand "fashion".

Granted, my sartorial choices illustrate this fact very accurately, but hey, who knows--I could have been an eccentric artist type hiding my light under a bushel--you know, Vera Wang in an oversized gray sweatshirt. Right?

Well, last night proved it, if further proof was needed: I don't get it. I don't understand how a team of non-blind individuals can look at this collection and find it superior to this collection or (especially) this collection. (I couldn't STAND Santino through most of the show, and I thought some of his designs were just scary, but the first half of the finale totally redeemed him in my eyes. Furthermore, his final collection is absolutely GORGEOUS and I couldn't believe the judges were so dismissive.) I thought based on the final collections alone, Santino came in first, Daniel second, Chloe a distant, DISTANT third. Her collection was all shiny and poofy and unwearable--who WEARS that stuff? Seriously. Look at the pink thing on the first screen--Who on earth would wear that grotesque, puffy, oversized Mylar ballon of a dress? In PUBLIC??

Throughout Project Runway I've repeatedly liked the worst-reviewed designs, or the ones derided as "safe" or "boring". Invariably, the highest-ranked looks have just left me scratching my head--how would you WALK in that? wouldn't that ITCH? The only designer whose stuff I consistently liked was Daniel, and I thought for sure he was going to win it. And even though Santino spent most of his time being a butthead, based on his final collection, I would have been happy if he won it. But CHLOE??? I liked a couple of her outfits, but this last collection was just awful...or at least, awful from my point of view, which is obviously untrained and clueless.

Daniel, Santino: you were robbed, guys.

Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be matching a striped shirt with plaid pants, or something.

4 comments:

  1. You are soooooo right on every single point.

    I'm still so mad about Daniel or Santino not winning!

    It's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch that particular show, but I agree that that last designers stuff is nice.

    Still, I've never entirely liked haute couture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But honestly? How often do you see clothes on the runway that you actually would wear?

    I liked bits and pieces of all the collections, but I did understand why they chose Chloe. Her collection (aside from the 13th look) all looked like it belonged in the same collection. Daniel's, while beautiful, didn't share a lot in common with each other. And Santino apparently doesn't know where boobies go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Santino was too busy studying scatology to worry about boobies.

    And now, for the "oh-my-god" article of the week:

    TOO much info, Jay. (But I have to admit, I like Zulema much better after reading this.)

    ReplyDelete