Saturday, September 30, 2006

A Gigantic Peeve

This evening, when I finally crawled out of the warm bed into the freezy-cold house (I haven't had the furnace inspected yet, and I'm not turning on the heat until I do), I turned on the television to watch the Project Runway marathon. And amidst all the things I've already seen before, there was a brand-new something to honk me off.

It was a commercial for these (And incidentally, I'm starting a list of September-30th resolutions, and foremost among them will be "make all the links I put in my blog open up a new window all their own instead of taking the reader away from my blog completely", so you should be able to click with impunity now.)

Now HERE is my peeve about this, and in fact, about all things advertised as "organic".

organic: Organic material is derived from living organisms and is made up of carbon-based compounds.

Please excuse me, because I'm about to yell, but:

CAN ANYONE NAME A FOOD ITEM WHICH, ACCORDING TO THE DEFINITION, IS NOT ORGANIC???

:::smashes head repeatedly against immovable object::: Auuuuggghhhh!!!! Every single time I see an ad for "organic" food, I am moved to acts of violent protest and wrathful correction. There is NO inorganic food. ALL food is organic. ALL of it!!!

I'm going to go breathe deeply for a while. I need to calm down. (Maybe that should be one of my September-30th resolutions, as well.)

1 comment:

  1. I do understand your frustration, but sadly the word has been hijacked by the government to label things grown in ground that hasn't seen pesticides in a certain number of years. Prior to that, people who are trying to get the label "organic" can only label their produce "pesticide free," so that's not available either.

    ReplyDelete