Monday, October 27, 2008

Update: The Itchy and Scratchy Gladys Show

Thank heavens, the rash is leaving me.

This is probably due in part to the THREE major prescriptions I have been taking, plus handfuls of Benadryl and the occasional Advil just for kicks. I'm taking prednisone, Zantac (apparently there are histamines generated in the digestive tract? Who knew?), and some super-duper anti-itch medicine which doesn't seem to do much at all. I'm also completely off the Lexapro, and I have a referral to a dermatologist and one to an allergist as well. There are still a few itchy bits--mostly on my back where I absolutely CANNOT reach them without sacrificing every bit of dignity I've got--and on my belly, where also I cannot scratch with dignity. My legs look like I fought a table-saw and lost; my arms look like kindergarteners with red Magic Markers used them for a lesson in pointillism. But at least I can sit still for five minutes at a stretch, a blessing indeed.

I still don't believe for sure that it was the Lexapro, although I looked up "Lexapro side effects" and discovered that yes, "itchy rash" was on the list, along with almost every other physical complaint of mankind, and including lots of minor physical annoyances that I'd attributed to "tiredness" or "weight" or "drinking too much". So there's that... I hope whatever I end up on next won't have too many goofy outcomes associated with it. I certainly don't plan to go through THIS again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better. Itching is just crazy-making.

    ReplyDelete