Monday, April 11, 2005

Mondays Suck Anyway.

There's this guy at my work who, I must admit, I'm crushing on just a teeeeny bit.

First of all, his very EXISTENCE in this den of estrogen is a mighty miracle. Since I started here nearly 5 years ago, this is the first time we have had more than four men working full-time in our department. That's right--for five years now this department has been ninety percent female or greater. At one point, we had ONE guy. ONE. And all the guys we've had have been coordinators, til now. Ian is an assistant--answers phones, does data entry, etc. Somehow I find that more cool and admirable, somehow.

He's also got several of my favorite other things going on, all at once:

1. He's a musician (lead singer of what is apparently a moderately-famous Goth band. I didn't know there WERE moderately-famous Goth bands, but that only goes to show you.) I think I may need to add "musician" into my list of minimum qualifications for The Guy...none of the non-musicians ever seem to turn out quite right for me.
2. He has long hair. Very pretty long hair.
3. He has (squeeeeee!) a British accent. Apparently he came over a few years ago when he was married (so he's been down that road as well!) and has been staying here despite himself ever since.
4. He's got an anarchist streak a mile wide, and some really good conspiracy theories, and he's a pagan.

Unfortunately he's also got two major drawbacks:

1. He's a vegan. Not that I have a problem with that, but I am a barely-repentant carnivore and I question whether I could even be a vegetarian, let alone a vegan. (Though I'll admit, albeit grudgingly, that I've never met a fat vegan--so maybe there's something to think about, there.)
2. He has a girlfriend. And she's pretty. (He keeps a picture on his desk, which I also find cool and admirable. When I'm not bleeding out the eyes from jealousy, that is.)

We ride the same train in the morning, and generally we walk to work together and chat. Then a couple weeks ago he told me he was going to England for a week (with his pretty girlfriend....blargh), and so I braced myself for a week of boring train rides.

He was supposed to be back today, which was at least a minor motivating factor in my decision not to call in "sick"--as in "sick of you bastard people"--this morning. So as the train pulled into his regular stop, I'll admit, my tail was kinda wagging a bit.

Alas--no Ian.

I get to work and there's a schedule e-mail: "Ian will be back Wednesday."

Well, crap.

Stoopid unrequited crushes. Stoopid work. Stoopid Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Just a teeeny bit?
    Hmmm *strokes chin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a work crush way-back-when...(currently I work in a medical setting and I just don't find scrubs sexy). Anyway, I hope yours turns out better. Mine became a Jesuit priest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was Jesuit-educated and I gotta say: some of those guys are hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very hot. But I wanted something more than spiritual with him.

    ReplyDelete