Thursday, November 3, 2005

Firefly, You Might Wanna Skip This Post.

Well, I'm back, thanks to a well-loved laptop no one at work wanted anymore. Which was still better than my 1998-era Sony VAIO desktop. It took a while to get it where I wanted to get it.

During which time...

Look. I am anonymous on this blog so I can be honest, right? But I was really conflicted about reporting this. Still am, I guess, but if I've learned nothing in 35 years I've learned: when you don't know if what you're doing is the right thing, charge blindly ahead anyway. And I'm taking a page from Ka here, and losing the drama and evaluating the true gravity of the situation as objectively as I can.

I had a minor lapse in judgement this past week. Two of them, as a matter of fact. Those of you who know this story can probably already intuit what's coming; those of you who don't...well, I wish you did, because writing this is turning out to be a little harder for me than I thought it would.

I did some heroin this week.

If you're clutching your pearls and exclaiming "oh no!", please stop. If you're not, please don't start. I am being as objective as it is possible to be about this; I have looked at what set me off, at how bad it was really, and how hard it's going to be to not do it again.

I am not sorry, exactly. I think I needed a refresher in what I hated about it, instead of the warm fuzzy memory aspects of it which never seem to leave. It's very easy to forget the bad. I needed to drive around and avoid what seemed like a million cop cars. I needed to get taken for $20 by jackass little boys selling fakes, again. I needed to feel the raw edges of panic as it wore off and everything that happened, no matter how insignificant, became part of the worst of all possible worlds. I needed to remember the bad, and so this was not an entirely wasted endeavor.

I also needed to remember something else: once is not ever going to be enough. I realized it after the first hit. I really realized it when I found myself driving around the next day, looking for more.

Facing facts here: I like heroin. I like the way it makes me feel. I like not feeling scared of not being able to hide every single flaw I have; I like feeling comfortable in my own skin for a change. But I also know those feelings are fleeting, and that afterwards there are consequences. And I also realized something else: wanting it is one thing. Acting on it is where the problem comes in. I was beating up on myself so hard for just wanting it that I think on some level I figured "well screw it, might as well just go on ahead." Wanting it is fine; doing it is not. Important lesson learned.

So I stopped, and I plan to stay stopped, and to be grateful that I CAN stop. I am not going to wring my hands over this mistake and let myself become so overwhelmed with shame that I feel there's no reason not to do it again, and again, and again. I was strong enough not to do it for nearly six years; I can pick up where I left off and be grateful for the lessons.

Among those lessons: sometime soon, I really have to start dealing with my grief. It was ten years Sunday since JP's death, and somewhere between that milestone and doing heroin again and the emotional rainstorms coming a lot more often lately (I found myself last night crying over a stupid BANK commercial)--somewhere along the line I realized that I am hurting a lot more than it's easy for me to admit. I've based so much of my self-worth these past ten years on being "strong", and these past few days have taught me that denying my pain like this is not "strength". It's damn near killing me, is the long and short of it, and what's more, it's drawing my life into a tighter and tighter circle around me, narrowing every chance and life decision into a simple equation: possible pain?=hell no. I am avoiding a larger and larger subset of life, just so I don't have to deal with this big internal owwie, and I can foresee a point at which I will have avoided everything for so long that I'll have no choice but to keep doing it til I die. And that's no sort of life at all.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it, but I do know that something needs to be done. And "something" is not heroin.

I wasn't going to write this, because I was afraid of letting everybody down. I know exactly one of you in real life, and yet your opinions mean a lot to me. Enough, anyway, that I worried about whether you might think less of me if I admitted that I got high again. But I promised myself back when I started this blog that I would be completely honest, and I like to think I've lived up to that so far. I've been merciless in my characterizations of some people in my life; you've seen the warts-and-all side of LJ, and my mother, and just about everybody else I know. It would be dishonest of me to keep MY warts hidden, after all that.

I will get past this, and I will be fine. Maybe even better.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck. I'm not quite sure what to say, except that I understand wanting to avoid that "big internal owwie." I'm sure you will get past this. You come across as a really strong person.

    :)

    -h

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gladys,

    Don't be ashamed, I'm proud of you that you were able to admit it in writing...writing things down for all the world to see, and telling them to people are the hardest things to do. You've admited it, you know now that it sucks (or at least reminded yourself of how much it sucks) and now you can move on.

    Good luck to you in your search for figuring out what to do next. Do you think it might help to find a counselor to talk to? (I prefer to call them "rent-a-friends") I've been considering it myself but I'm so broke I can't pay attention much less pay a counselor. I'm thinking though that it might help me figure out what's going on, why I'm so bitter, angry, and depressed.

    I hope you sort things out, try not to let this "stumble" hold you back from dealing with your "internal owwie"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I post here once in a while and am doing this as anonymous this time because I don't want everyone running back to my site, seeing pictures of my loved ones and discussing how it is so sad someone like that is raising children...

    I totally know what you are going through. Back in my 20's, I did anything I could get my hands on. I quit only by default - my boyfriend and I broke up and I bailed out of that situation as fast and as far as I could, losing most of my connections.

    Now, 8 years later, I sit in innocent hiding, praying that maybe my back will go out on me so I can get some vicodin from the doctor. Maybe a friend or family member will have some wisdom teeth removed and I can visit (and make a quick check of the medicine cabinet). Mmmmm, painkillers.

    The want doesn't go away. Neither does the guilt. And it doesn't make everything all better. Too bad I can't remember that when face to face with a little white pill (or 3 - one just isn't enough).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gladys, when I read that, my stomach dropped and my hair stood up. I understand where you're coming from and know that pain can sometimes make people relapse. I also understand that everything in your life is a little wonky at the moment. But please, PLEASE don't do it again. We don't know each other, so I know it's weird, but I so expect great things from you. I expect that your life will all of a sudden one day snap into place and everything will be right. Just take one problem at a time. It may take more time to work them out that way, but at least it won't be so overwhelming. And as much as you may not want it, I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gladys,

    I understand completely where your comping from, and have no comdemnation for you. Every once in a while you just need to revisit to remind yourself how much better your life is without.

    Hardest part will be to underline to yourself not to repeat, and allow yourself to open up and go the greaving that is necessary to heal and move on, so you do not repeat.

    I too am one of those people to put so much value on "being strong" that I at times don't allow myself to greave as I should. From experience I can tell you the road that puts you on is so self destructive that you could end up hurting yourself MORE than you would if you had really been "strong" and faced the pain you were avoiding.

    As for beating yourself up, well it's just a waste of energy, use that energy instead for your healing!

    Keep your head up and know that we're all here supporting you!

    WiPrincess~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shocked by your admission, but like everyone else you'll get no condemnation from me.
    Just watch your step girl, you have many people who care about you & ... oh you know Gladys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Gladys...you'll never be judged by me. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that you're a lot stronger than you sometimes give yourself credit for. I praise your honesty in a post that was possibly the most difficult one you've ever written.

    I've been a long-time reader of your blog and I know that you had to do what you did to see how far you've come. Addiction is never easy and it's a lifelong battle. Stay true to yourself. You really have come a long way and your past is nothing to be ashamed of.

    Your future is what counts now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a pretty new reader, so this post came as rather a surprise to me, but I got beans for judgment. We've all got addictions to struggle with, I've found. It's only a matter of which poison is picked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just reframe for a moment...You relapsed and stopped after only using twice! That takes a lot of strength...and, as you pointed out, it serves as a good reminder.

    You know I'm biased, but I would highly recommend talking to a therapist. If you can't afford a full-priced one, there are a lot of training clinics with really good trainees at bargain prices. It's a win-win situation - they get the "practice" and you get the benefit of low prices and sitting with someone who is really excited and interested in the work.

    You've done an excellent job at being strong for a long time now on your own...maybe it's time to let someone help you be strong...let someone take care of you a little.

    And my immediate reaction when I read the news...I wanted to give you a hug. I hope you can get one from someone somewhere and think of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, all of you. I'd admit to being a little teary right now, but...yeah, okay.

    I appreciate the total lack of pearl-clutching. I can't deal with people WORRYING about me. It just makes me crabby. And Spins, you totally win the prize for "putting the best possible face on things." I haven't really got the first idea about where to go about finding help, but research has always been one of my strong suits.

    Thanks, to all of you, for all your support.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gmonster,
    we've been friends for.... well, let's leave that number alone... a long time. longer than any friend i've ever had. you walked right by my side through my greatest hell even though you were states away, and i'll never forget that.
    i was there before. i'll be with you on the other side of this- you know that. i just don't want to see you go through that again. drugs take everything, including you, and you've got too much brilliant energy to risk that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad that you were able to learn something from what happened. Sometimes it's figuring out the things that we don't miss about old habits is what cements it for us, as far as not going back there again. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete