Friday, July 6, 2007

NASCAR, That Wasn't Nice.

Now, I understand the rain-out rule: if the qualifying run can't be completed because of inclement weather, the entire qualifying up to that point is erased and the field is determined by owner points/current standings. I get that; I understand why it's needed.

BUT.
Since Boris Said had posted the fastest time with 15 cars left to qualify, and Michael Waltrip had qualified solidly within the top-10; since Kirk Shelmerdine, who hasn't made a race since last year, and the Wallace brothers were both clearly in the realm of those who WOULD have qualified even if the last 15 cars had posted awesome and excellent times--since all those things were true, it seems HIGHLY unfair to THIS fan that their awesome qualifying runs were totally disregarded and they were sent to the DNQ pile. This irks me especially in the case of Boris and Mikey; even if EVERY SINGLE CAR remaining had posted times ahead of them, they STILL would have qualified solidly and there would have been NO question of whether or not they would be starting on Saturday. Now they're back to the trailer-coach, and that just doesn't seem right to me.

(/nascar rant)

2 comments:

  1. Yea. They should include the qualifing time and pratice time to come up with some formula that would give the smaller teams a chance when they are doing well at a particular track. I want to see talent not money. PS DEI should keep the 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I am SO not-a-DEI-fan that it matters to me not at all what they do with the 8. (Okay, more accurately: I am NOT a Jr. fan. If DaleJr were to leave NASCAR entirely, I wouldn't miss him in the least. Whereas, if Gordon or Harvick or JimmyJ were to leave...that would upset me. Not that I don't think DaleJr is a good driver--in fact, I think he's an AWESOME driver--but I simply cannot abide Jr. Nation. Any fanbase who would throw beercans at another driver...I know, I know, that's not all Junior fans. But the ones who DO, make it worse for the ones who DON'T.

    Personally, I'm just glad that McMurray won that race instead of KyleB, and that Jeff came in as high-up as he did (if he keeps it up, he's gonna win me tickets to next yr's Chicago race, thanks to my fantasy-racing league!) And Kasey finished 9th as well--how cool is THAT?

    ReplyDelete