Sunday, September 9, 2007

Crossing All My Fingers

Barring an unforeseen catastrophe, Squeaky will be leaving tomorrow and will be gone for "at least two weeks". (I place that in quotes because if I have anything at all to say about it--and I should, what with it being MY FRACKING HOUSE AND EVERYTHING--that "two weeks" will stretch to approximately "the end of time".) I'm dropping her off at her dad's house, on the way to my opthalmologist appointment. And then, dilated pupils and all, I'm going to come home and fix myself a big celebratory meal, of all the things I denied myself while she was here (because I didn't feel like buying/paying for/cooking three of them. There's a steak with my name on it, somewhere.)

(Oddly enough, as I typed this: Tim came out of their room and told me that she's not feeling well; that she has a pain just below her ribs, that she felt "a pressure" and then "like something exploded". I have heard about every...single....solitary ache and pain that this child has experienced: stuffy sinuses and a head cold ($30-plus for Benadryl--the drowsy AND the non-drowsy--and Mucinex), sore foot, a boil on her butt (yeah, really)--and it's tempting not to take this seriously, but I don't want to be cruel, either, if she really IS in pain. I'm in a wait-and-see posture, at the moment. But if this child doesn't get out of my house and out of my life, post-haste, I'm going to lose what fragments of my sanity remain.)

1 comment:

  1. Gladys, listen to what your life is telling you. You have a new job you like, and you have a wonderful opportunity to make a fresh start. Please consider getting your own place with no extra rooms for boarders/freeloaders/"friends." You may not realize how much these "friends" are dragging you down and draining your energy. Go back and read your posts, and you'll see what I mean. I'd bet your psychiatrist would agree. Seize the day! -- Karen

    ReplyDelete