Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Heretic

Here's the thing, see:

I don't believe it.

Wow, I hear you say. That's really totally insensitive, isn't it? I mean, obviously something really bad happened to her, and obviously she's totally traumatized by it; isn't it petty to be getting all persnickety about details??

And yeah--yeah it is. But some details are a little more crucial than others, aren't they?

Aren't they?

Details like these, for instance:

1. You claim that the first time you noticed anything wrong was after, you say, someone put something in your drink. Except...You're supposedly sober for two months. So what were you doing drinking? Well, see, it wasn't my fault...someone put their cup down, and it was Hennessy, and they put it right next to my Sprite, and I picked it up and took a drink by mistake. And when I get a taste of alcohol, even a little taste, then I can't stop. Well, I said. If that's the case, and you'll pardon my assholeness here? But you might wanna pay closer attention to which cups you're picking up-- BEFORE you drink out of them.

2. You were at the hospital...Did they call the police? No. It was like...they were all part of the plot. Some of them, I don't think were even hospital people at all. So nobody called the police. Okay...Did you tell them you were raped? Yeah. Did they do a rape kit? No....I told you, I don't think they were all hospital people! They said....(insert threats that make no sense). But they didn't do a rape kit or call the police, even though you told them you were raped. Right.


3. Things inside my OWN head: It's funny, isn't it, that these catastrophes always seem to arise when she's NOT at our house? When she's at her dad's, or about to leave to go to her dad's, or staying somewhere OTHER than my residence....suddenly there are men out there trying to rape her, or succeeding in raping her, or planning to rape her...


Look. I've been there too. I had two situations in my earlier life which could have been construed as date rape. I'm not comparing that to any more-violent situation--I realize that mine was a mild situation, barely deserving of the word. And I recognize that there ARE women who have experienced violent sexual victimization, and I am the last person in the world who would want to be seen as a doubter.

BUT.

There are words that demand attention. The first time your four-year-old says that word she heard Daddy say when he was fixing the sink and dropped the pipe-wrench on his head, she gets attention. Immediate, highly-focused attention.

The undereducated white guy driving down the street when he gets cut off by a black female driver--he has some words that get attention too. Depending on the woman, they also get him a jack-handle through the side-view mirror, but that, too, is attention.

And women...we have a word too. Women who say it about famous men...they get all types of attention. Media attention...legal attention...attention from other women. All kinds of attention--positive and negative.

That's when you're famous. When you're NOT famous, though...well, you can still use that word to get attention...even if it's just from your semi-boyfriend, who may or may not still be considering whether or not you're really in a RELATIONSHIP or whether it's just a fling.

Or, as she put it...

"I think he's even more thinking about it since THIS happened."

The "it" he's supposedly thinking about, should you wonder? Apparently the two of them, unbeknownst to me, have been for some time discussing the possibility of getting an apartment together, when the moving day comes. (I'd asked Tim as much the other day: "So have you considered getting an apartment with Squeaky?" I asked him. "We talked about it," he admitted. I tried to repress my joy. But it's another thing to discover that this may have been in the works for QUITE a while before this incident.)

Strange, isn't it? that This would happen when she's just trying to convince Tim to get a place with her?

I don't want to be petty. I don't want to be a doubter.

But I don't completely believe this story.

10 comments:

  1. I've put out some questions to my friends in healthcare. I think a rape victim can refuse a rape kit. If the hospital didn't do one, that would be because she told them they couldn't do one on her. I don't think the ER is required to call police unless a victim either has a gunshot wound or is a minor. I think if the patient/victim asks for the police that's when they get involved. Otherwise, for the doctor to call the police with out patient consent would be a violation of the patients rights to privacy. I'm checking with my friends though to find out legally what an ER is required to do when an apparent victim of a violent crime comes in for treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 2

    Due to the patient privacy rights, the ER can not call the police just because she said she was raped. If they didn't call the police, it would be because she didn't ask them to call or she told them not to call the police.
    If the hospital didn't do a rape kit, it is because she refused to let them do one.
    Is it possible, she never told the people at the hospital she was raped perhaps she only told you and your roommate that she was raped?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, anything's possible--but I asked her point-blank "did you tell them at the hospital that you were raped?" and she said she did.

    However, from the way she was describing her behavior and her attitude while she was in the hospital, she said she wouldn't even tell them her name or her contact info, because she was convinced they were "part of the plot" and trying to kill her. So it's entirely possible, even if she did tell them and even if they did offer a rape kit, that she might have refused.

    Here's the thing, though. In the past, every time I've put my gut feelings about a situation aside, and gone with what it was "right" or "charitable" to believe--each and every time, I've gotten screwed. There is something about this girl that I just DON'T trust, no matter how sad I feel about the life she's lived.

    But you do raise some good points, Alice. And thanks for taking the time and trouble to find that stuff out...it does make me think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mean to be a hater - I'm not! - but I've been reading your blog for some time now, and I completely agree with your sense and feel of S.'s narrative. That doesn't mean you can't feel sorry for her for the life she's had and is having, but she's clearly not the, the model of veracity, per se.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gladys, I didn't believe it when you put up your last post. I think some distance between her and you might be a GREAT idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes.

    Personally, I think Squeaky's WAY confused and fucked up, and regardless of WHAT exactly happened to her...well, something sure did. I don't blame you for being mistrustful...the story she fed you doesn't make any sense. But something bad befell her...and even if she was responsible for the actions that put her in that situation in the first place, she definitely went through some trauma.

    It's a crappy situation. I feel for you. And yeah...the girl's gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't believe Squeaky's story when you put it up the other day. I think she was on something, perhaps tripping. That's what it sounds like to me. I think she had a bad trip.

    And, of course, you don't trust her. Didn't she steal your methadone a while back? Squeaky is trouble, no matter how hard her life has been. How do you know for sure that anything she tells you is the truth, past or present?

    Go with your gut and get her out of there. If Tim gets upset about it, he can follow her out. Enough is enough. Hotel Gladys is closed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I don't know her like you do...but I was known to do some pretty manipulative sh*t to get what I wanted when I was her age. S'all I'm sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It may be that this is a CA law, but when a licensed medical personnel finds, or is told, evidence of an assault during the course of their duties, they are required to report it to the police. This has raised all sorts of issues with regards to domestic violence. But again this may be a CA statute only.

    Obviously, something happened to land her in the hospital completely wacked out and combative. Has she ever been psychiatrically evaluated. It's not uncommon for psychotic breaks to happen in late teens and early 20s. Although, certainly, certain drugs will also cause psychotic symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. re: has Squeaky been psychiatrically evaluated--

    She's spent her entire life from the age of 13 onward in either psych wards or group homes. From what I've heard, at various time she's been on a cocktail of various meds--lithium among them, and some other fairly uncommon ones I don't recall the names of. Aaaand, come to find out, her dad is diagnosed schizophrenic. The last time she was in the hospital (when she got kicked out of her group home, the time I think she stole my methadone) they wanted to send her to the psych hospital for an inpatient stay.

    So--yeah, I think it's safe to say there are some psychiatric issues here.

    ReplyDelete