Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Boss Is A Complete Asshole.

To all of you who found this blog by searching for variants of "my boss is an asshole"...Hi there! Welcome! I didn't realize there were so many of us out there, but fully 15% of my incoming traffic is from this search term, so....we're clearly not alone. So...good to have you here. Stick around and read some more, why don't you? It sure beats working.... --GJC, 17 Oct 2008

I am beginning to wonder if I am a maladjusted worker, or if I just find myself working in jobs with asshole bosses, or if there are just no other KIND of bosses. But today, once again, I have incontrovertible evidence that My Boss Is An Asshole.

The plot: As I've mentioned, there are four of us; myself, "Max", "Alex", and "Erwin". Max and Alex are the senior techs, Erwin and I are the junior techs. The distinction is minimal, really; Max and Alex get the "challenging" users and the long-term/complex projects, while Erwin and I get the normal calls and everyday projects. Erwin, for reasons no one has explained, has been given the lion's share of the task of building new systems; though all of us do builds, Erwin gets the most of them. I don't think that's terribly fair (though there's some consensus that it's because Erwin can't really do crap-else EXCEPT menial, repetitive tasks. I can't speak to that, personally, but I CAN speak to the fact that he's a whiny, petty little nit who has been known to bring meetings to a complete standstill by digging in his heels and stating that he opposes some minor policy change. Also, he's generally a jerk.) and will occasionally offer, when I hear him complain about how many builds he's got to do, to take one of them off his hands. (He has never done the same for me.)

Today, he spent the morning bitching every time a new ticket came across his desk, and so, after lunch, I said "Hey, Erwin, if you want to tell Joe (our boss) to give me one of your tickets, go ahead."

About half an hour later, I still hadn't gotten any new tickets, so I went into Joe's office. He got Erwin on the phone, and put him on speaker. Erwin read him the number of the ticket he wanted to give me--strange, since no one's usually that formal about tickets--we usually refer to them by the user name. I asked Joe, "Who's the ticket for?" and he just brushed it off: "Oh, just a user." My stupid self clearly wasn't thinking like an Asshole, because I just accepted it and went back to my desk.

A couple minutes later, I pulled up the ticket and discovered who it was for:

The ticket was to build a new computer...for The Crazy. Our big boss.

We had all known there was soon going to be a ticket for this build, and it had been made really, really clear that no one wanted to be the one to get it. First of all, she's THE BOSS, and nobody wants to be put in a position where any mistake will instantly be under her nose. Further, she's very particular, and then too, she has a list of annoying, complex software to install, archives to move, and general high-maintenanceness. It was the Hot Potato of builds, and not ONLY had Erwin handed it off to me, Joe had LET him--had AIDED AND ABETTED him, actually.

Now, it's my belief that if someone offers to help you with something, you--just as a common courtesy--don't give them the worst task you've got. If someone offers to help with your yardwork, you don't tell them "Hey, yeah, you can help--the septic tank hasn't been cleaned out for eight years now..." You give them something easy, or at least something average-to-middling. That's just basic human courtesy.

Well, apparently that doesn't fly, where I work. While the guys, including Erwin, laughed at my reaction, I said "oh HELL no," and darted back to Joe's office. "You let Erwin give me The CRAZY'S computer??" I yelped.

Joe? LAUGHED. (Keep in mind: this man is supposedly a manager.) "Hehehehehe...yeah." Said in the typical schoolyard-bully bullshit "sucker!" tone I remember from when I was, oh, TWELVE.

"Come ON, Joe. That's not right," I said.

He switched to the "affronted innocence" mode. "What? What are you so mad about? God, you're so whiny--you sound like Frack." (Frack--the guy at the other building who does nothing but complain.)

At that point, I just decided to shut up and deal. "You know what? That's fine. Where is the computer?"

"WHAAAAAAT??? Why are you getting mad at MEEEE? I didn't do anything....Erwin was the one who told me to give you the ticket!"

"That's right. But you--being the boss--could have vetoed it and told him 'Nah, give her another build instead'." (Which I thought was an eminently reasonable response, especially since he was acting like a bratty schoolkid, not a manager.)

"God. What EVER." (turns to student worker, also in the office) "Do you hear her whining??" (back to me) "Do you want me to give the ticket to Max?" (Notice--COM.PLETE.LY not dealing with the real issue; red herrings, allegedly-"humorous" comments. He has a habit of deflecting criticism this way. Not from The Crazy, of course--with her, he just grovels--but with the rest of us.)

"No. Just tell me, where is the computer, so I can just get started?"

Conversation goes back and forth, while he a)takes out the keys to the storeroom, which is where the computer is, but makes no effort to get out of his desk and actually LET ME INTO THE ROOM, which is his JOB. For FIFTEEN MINUTES I stand in his damn office listening to him bantering with student workers, help desk people, colleagues, whatever, and meanwhile I want to fucking STRANGLE this man, and everything I say is met with variations on the theme of "I don't know WHY you're so ANGRY."

So finally, he got off his ass and let me into the storeroom; I got the computer and went back to my desk and just got back to work. Later on I made a comment to Alex, who's the acknowledged brat of the department, and he laughed--but I know WHY he laughed. It's the old pie-in-the-face construct: it's funny, as long as it's not happening to YOU. I would have giggled too. Same with Max; walking home, though he admitted it was funny, he also agreed that it was a shitty thing for Erwin to do in the first place, let alone for Joe to go along with it.

So basically, the lesson for today, boys and girls: When someone makes a good-faith offer of help, the best thing to do is to take complete and total advantage of their good will. After all, if they weren't suckers, they never would have offered to help, would they???

I will not. EVER. offer to help Erwin again, for any reason, under any circumstances. If he were on fire, I would not even bother to muster enough spit to put it out. And as for my "manager", Joe--there is a phrase of which I hope he is aware: it's called "killing the golden goose". His total lack of good sense, regarding when to be a good-buddy-boy and when to be a fucking MANAGER, has accomplished exactly that. No longer do I feel subject to any mandate to "keep him out of trouble" as he has so often said. Quite the opposite, as a matter of fact; anything I can do to subtly draw attention to his managerial incompetency and total inappropriateness, I will do. Not in a way to make myself look vindictive, mind you, or to depreciate in any way the quality of my work--quite the opposite, in fact. Joe and Erwin want to bitch and whine and play junior-high playground games? They can do that. I'm here to do a JOB, and to do it well--and I've found that sometimes, just doing your work damn well draws attention to those who don't. Not always--but sometimes. Regardless, from this point on, I am only looking out for those who look out for ME.

17 comments:

  1. I swear, we must know some of the same people....I have been crapped on by coworkers that I actually got them their jobs....when it came time to lay somebody off, one of them, whom had taken the role as company kiss ass to the crazy boss, she actually had the nerve, aka balls to tell the boss that I did the least amount of important work there and should be laid off....aka fired since I refused to buddy up to the crazy, psycho boss....next job, I quit, took me a month to get paid, then the new crazy decided I only worked 3/4 of the actual time and decided I could get paid at minimum wage since it is an "employers state" and she could do whatever she wanted...never work for Cartridgeworld in Lakewood WA !!! Hang in there, even though, I swear, these managers have a club going where they trade ideas.....how to be the biggest ass for the most dollar...how to screw employees 101...wow, mine passed with an A+

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work on a military installation and if there were ever bigger pricks, try working for an officer and being a civilian. I have worked here for 6 years, working very hard to move up. About 2 years ago I was going thru a divorce, bankruptcy and my 5 year old daughter was having surgery to repair damage to her bladder caused from underdeveloped kidneys. In the middle of all of that, my mother has a stroke and I am an only child and my father has since moved on with a new family. I was completely alone to deal with all of this. I did my best to keep up with all of it and maintain a full time job. My boss, now that he knew I was getting a divorce, started sexually harrassing me and when I reported him to his supervisor he became hostile and his boss did nothing. It had gotten so bad that I couldn't come to work without crying. I was a mess. I finally broke down and quit. I took a few months off and started a new job for the government. It was temporary but in the new fiscal year it was becoming permanant. I was so happy to have the job. I busted my tail. I came in early. I left late. I was the go to person. If you wanted something done go to me. LOL Anyway, I got my appraisal and received an excellant. I received 2 awards, 1 from my company commander and the other from a full bird COL. I was stoked! Then our unit merged with another unit. Staff was moved around and my supervisor got a new boss (NIGHTMARE!!!) and then my supervisor left. (Terrifying) I no longer had a buffer from the micro managing and nitpicking. Everyone that didn't outrank him was crap under his feet. No one in the office could stand him.We all called him MAJOR PRICK behind his back. hehe Finally 1 month later they got another poor soul to come in and take over my office. He was great. I had to train him and I really didn't mind. He was a Captain and had enough experience it wasn't that diffucult. A few months go by and all is well. Then I got sick. My doctor diagnosed me with Type 2 diabeties. Army Doctor so this next part shouldn't surprise anyone. I am only 32 so she(DR) didn't want to start me on insullin right away. She explained I made enough only needed pills. Well she didn't get the dosage right the first time. I spent 2 mos back and forth to the hospital. If I wasn't passing out from my sugar being to low I was passing out and sometimes vomiting because it was too high. I had pneamonia 1 wk and then 2 wks later had a double ear infection with the a stomach flu. My immune system was shot. I had missed so much work at this point I was coming in when I was sick. I had no more sick hours to use. Last monday I came into work. Arrived at 630 am and around 7 sometime, my co worker found me in the floor. I was rushed to the hospital and treated. Once released I returned to work. My first day back, Wednesday, I was taken into the "Major Prick's" office and chewed out for missing so many days. when I explained to him that my Captain knew what had happened and I had Dr's excuses for every day, he proceeded to tell me that I was not a good employee and that I was being released. Not fired mind you, because then I could get him for discrimination. My job ends on the 30th of Dec, you know the one they were gonna make permanant in OCTOBER!!! He told me he did not put in the paperwork and was not going to. I went to the Union about it and they said because I was only temporary and had no proof that he was making it permanant, I couldn't do anything about it. My Captain is furious and fought hard to keep me but in the end a MAJOR outranks a Captain. So my last day is going to be the 19th of Dec Merry Christmas to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize I am writing this a full 2 yrs after you wrote your blog but I hope you've managed to leave your asshole boss.

    I find myself with 2 asshole bosses that are related to each other. Dad and Daughter. I just started working at this job and took it because I've been unemployed for the last year thanks to this sucky economy.

    It would take page after page to describe how dysfunctional this place is but simply put, there are screaming matches in the middle of the office between dad and daughter. Daugther is 32 lives at home, never had to be responsible. She bosses all of us around. Screams at another co-worker accusing him of "going through my desk" swears at us AND the big topper, delays giving us our paychecks by 3-5 days a total violation of the CA labor laws. She's a spoil rotten bitch and her pussy dad does nothing. I hate it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best revenge is a carefully planned strike. Try to remember everything the a-hole said. One of my nightmare ex-bosses used to joke about throwing his jury summons into the trash.

    So I just thought I would help him out and hopefully cut down on all this "needless" pestering by the US court system. So I wrote the court a note stating that he would never show up for jury duty and would continue to throw future summons in the trash, so please stop bothering him - the man is busy dang' it! I wonder how that went down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMFG dude i know what you are feeling!?!?, my boss seems to think by verbally abusing his employees in front of customer service and any other department, then pretending it doesn't happen or calling you a "pussy" to your back while i walk out of his office, or bitch at the fact that i asked if i was getting paid for working over 90hrs for the week throws a shit fit and says im not a team player and go with what hours im given. Or when told something to do , i accomplish it and tells me i wasn't told to do it when i have it in clear effin writing he told me to. FACK dude i know what your goin through, i keep tellin him when i win the lottery imma hire him as my personal bitch so he knows what i feel that son of a bitch lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that your information is one of the most interesting, that sittuation is so common in many jobs, I have a friend who always tell me the same things everyday!!!2d2d

    ReplyDelete
  7. my boss went off on me this evening and screamed at me that since two people told him to kiss ass and quit everyone else has to be available whenever he needs them and then he tells me my days off are only suggestions, that he fully expects me to call him back if I do not immediately answer when he calls, and that when he calls whenever that may be, he fully expects that i come in. I make $7.40 an hour. Bitch Please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boss thinks he is the smartest man since einstein. We have a messaging system, but he has this need to walk into our little room for a call center and go of on diatribes on 'pick a topic'....If you tune out that drivel, you're on his shitlist. His enabling kiss ass employees do the least amount of work. People that do their jobs are targets of his condescending dismissive shit fits. Besides the 'i'm smart, you are stupid' act, the saddest thing is he thinks he is the coolest dude...he thinks he is funny.....oh my god, he thinks he is funnnnyyyy! And the two kiss asses laugh before he starts his sentence.....what a pathetic asshat
    ..patience patience for a year and half and I graduate. It is draining though I completely relate

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not real fantastic with English but I come up this real leisurely to interpret.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The reason the boss is an asshole is:

    Once upon a time the body needed to find a boss to control its movements.
    The eyes said I'm the boss because I see everything. No said the mouth I am the boss because all the food comes in me that makes you live. No said the heart I am the boss without my circulation you will surely die.
    The asshole spoke you are all wrong I am the boss. The eye's,mouth and heart started laughing at the asshole.So the asshole tightened.One day passed followed by the second and third the eye's starting popping out the mouth started frothing and the heart starting murmering.The asshole said do you all now agree I am the boss and they said yes we do you asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah...this is exactly what I'm looking for! I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad has cancer. I had to leave 5 days around Xmas time to see him. My boss gave me permission, hesitantly, but permission he gave. Then when I came back he took all my duties and higharchy away and gave it to some guy who is the son of some big shot, but who actually comes into the office whenever he wants. Right now I have nothing to do, though I am getting payed. In my field, this is like suicide, proffesional death. My carreer is cut. I HATE MY F***ING BOSS HE IS THE BIGGEST ASSHOLE IN THE MILKY WAY GALAXY.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not wanting to be an ass by saying this, and considering I don't know the whole picture of your work environment... But, you kinda deserved it. If Erwin never complained about your person or tried to shitty talk your work to others or your boss, then you should have minded your own business. Who cares if he whines, as long as it's about his own thing (unless it was directed to you). After all the two worse classes of assholes at work are idiot bosses and stupid fuck coworkers who don't mind their own business (most of the time they act as the boss). Note: besides, you weren't trying to "help" him. You were trying to rub it off on his face and you learned your lesson.. By the way your last paragraph makes it sound like you are the boss' troll..
    A sad fact is that once I worked with this person who was a combination of you and Erwin. That little shit whined to us all the time and wanted to boss me and others around, making smart ass moves and comments trying to prove nothing.. Eventually the boss found out more about her bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its a rigged game. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. Big issue is bosses change.In my last job I progressed up the company ladder but my boss changed 6 times. 3 of my bosses I had to train on how to be my boss as they were big picture expensive executives without a purpose. Its extremely hard to make 6 business people like anyone. My bad luck I had 5 bosses that like me then I got stuck with a nervous loser who went to college with one of the bosses. And btw the new big boss got hired from his rich uncle. Again its a rigged game. Start your own company, nobody will look out for you despite their PR crap, you have to earn for yourself. First years might be lean but in long run you will find that you make more money and have less stress. Ironically my asshole boss actually did me a favor. I am stronger now. Those guys are still stuck making each other miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of our administrators is an asshole. He allowed one of the 30 people he oversees in his division at an Idaho state agency to steal $340,000 in grant money. This employee set-up a dummy company, put a bid in on a contract, won the award, and had the contract repeatedly renewed for two years even though the work wasn't getting done fast enough for the grant money provider or well enough to keep the buses running that the equipment was installed on. This chuckle-head administrator even hired a temporary employee to help the thief "spend" the grant money faster. So, a guy that works in this administrator's division says something about it being a big screw-up, asks to be moved into another division to get away from this administrator who was not fired for lack of oversight, and this asshole railroads this employee by saying he created a hostile work environment when he didn't. The guy did a sham investigation of the hostile comments he said he made, and providing him with reprimand paperwork that sets-up his termination after like 15 years working there and seriously solid performance. This administrator also bullied this guy by moving him under his personal control, writing him a special six-month work plan he'll scree him on, and isolating him from all his coworkers. This administrator is such a douche that nearly everyone in the 350-person agency thinks he should have been fired, let alone retained and allowed to bully a good employee!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not one but two bosses. It is like having she devil and the boss that needs another wife(yes his wife works in another office location)- (for heating up his lunch that you have to make for him, answer his phone,do his dishes, cover for his mistakes- on top of your own workload)! I feel like screaming on a daily basis but smile instead thinking karma is a ***** and someday I can drive the bus that has him, his office manager and his holier than though wife on it into a tree. Yes this is only a dream but I wake up smiling instead of screaming.... This is how I get through my 10 to 12 hour days. I have thought of making voo doo dolls, and frankly I would check into it more but i'm so tired at the end of the night, I don't have the energy to read!!! Lucky for them. I'm the quiet one who does what I'm told, yes, we are the ones you big bad wolfs better look out for, heheheeeee. Oh and btw you abusive bosses, I know there will come a day when the rash you soooo deserve will hit you and I just want to inform you when that day arrives, I quit !!!!!!! signed 47 an still rockin on'

    ReplyDelete
  17. I work for a NARCISSISTIC WITCH. In 9 years she has had 5 positions in one place where she knows a board member. She either fires people or they quit. She is so insecure has zero self-esteem and tries to control and manipulate the crap out of people. Everyone hates her and now we just all ignore her. I moved from the great state of NY to VA for this. Can't wait for a new opportunity to come up and I am out. There is no cure for narcissism except avoidance. New job and I am out.

    ReplyDelete