Friday, August 25, 2006

Scientific Assistance Needed



My question is this: What are we going to do about Mother?

You know: as in, "My very educated mother just served us nine pizzas." Now that Pluto doesn't count, what do we do about Mother? I mean, we could go to something like "My very educated mother just served us nougat," or "...noodles" or "...niblets" or "...nectarines", I suppose. I'm sure the conservatively-minded among the science-mnemonic-developing community will carry the day, and Mother will serve new generations some N-based foodstuff, instead of a superabundance of pizzas.

Personally, though, I think we need to get Mother out of the kitchen. After all, she's "very educated" and yet for years she's been pent up at home, churning out the pizzas. You have to think she's unhappy by now, at least a little bit. In fact, I'm in favor of leaving Mother out of the planet-memorization process entirely. Let her enjoy her golden years in peace, unsullied by the need to constantly remind ungrateful children that the fourth planet from the sun is Mars. Let her take watercolor classes, or tai-chi.

So: we need a new mnemonic.

"Most vulgar evildoers meet justice some unexpected night." (That should appeal to the axis-of-evil crowd, at least.) Or "Many vivid echoes make joyous songs under Newfoundland." (Meh. Too hippy-dippy.) You get the idea. We need something a little more forward-thinking than Mother, barefoot and pregnant despite that degree from Vassar.

C'mon, guys. Help me out. Free Mother!!!

4 comments:

  1. My very eager mother just served us nothing (because she was in tai-chi). That leaves some room for some other planets that may be discovered at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My very eager man served us nuts...Okay I have a one-track mind these days. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just felt the need to wish you a happy Labor day weekend Glady's. I hope that your well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg. this makes me sound so dumb, but that's okay because i'm actually not. but anyway, i've NEVER heard that pneumonic before!!!!! wow, that would have helped a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete