Friday, December 29, 2006

Another Milestone

To the unknown person in Atlanta, GA, who dropped by at 2:58:12 yesterday...

...and to the other 29,999 people who've stumbled in before them, and the 23 who've come through since...

Thank you. All of you.

It's really weird to think of how long this blog has been running; in the grand scheme of bloghood, it's about middle-aged, I would guess. I wasn't on the cutting-edge--I consider those to be the people who had a blog before there was a word for them, when it was called "a website" or "an online journal" and was seen as a daring, faintly-dangerous thing to do--but three years, three months, and twelve days is still a long time to stick with anything, particularly a lot of rambling, disconnected thoughts and whining. I would say that this blog probably represents most of what people who hate blogs hate them for; it's entirely personal; full of Too Much Info-type details; alternately whiny, over-confessional, and self-congratulatory. It's not political, it doesn't involve celebs, and it will never be quoted on any cable-news program. And I'll never be up at the tip-top of the Technorati hierarchy, which is fine with me, I guess.

Online relationships are very strange things. I was on Prodigy back in 1992, as part of a message board called "Words Together", and in early 1993 I flew out to Berkeley for a meet-up. Most of my friends, family, and acquaintances were sure that I'd be hacked into my component parts and mailed to a bus locker in North Dakota; instead, I met some very nice people and went to a Grateful Dead concert. In 1993, just before I got married, I started talking to a guy on AOL; I didn't meet him til years later, but we stayed in touch for a long while. When I was seeing JP, before I left Dave, I spent time IMing a couple of guys, just as friends; then, after JP died, when I was in North Carolina, I used to hang out in a chatroom on AOL. This was in 1996, when the Internet was just gathering steam; at that time, you could actually chat in a chatroom, and if you were very lucky, you could find intelligent conversation mixed in with the constant requests for "age/sex/location" and "ne1 wanna cyber?" The chatroom I was part of had many incarnations--"Sensual Intelligence" and "Men With Minds" were two of the names I recall--and a cast of regulars, with all the drama and intrigue of a junior-high cheerleading squad. I met quite a few people from that room, actually--there were various meet-ups, and one guy who came to North Carolina against my better judgement, because he really liked me and thought we were meant for each other; that weekend ended with a kiss on the forehead and a statement that still rings true: "You live too much in the past," he said, and he was right. A few months later he was engaged to another one of the "regulars".

Then there have been my many correspondents; people from newsgroups, from message-boards, from methadone forums and grief-support websites and Layne Staley memorial pages; a couple of guys who answered my personal ad but decided I had more potential as a pen-pal than as a love interest. Most of my correspondences have been lost, though I was more-scrupulous than most in saving them--I have disks filled with IM conversations from the early and mid-1990's. Yahoo purged my main e-mail account once, without my knowledge, and claimed they couldn't restore what was lost; I lost about five years of messages that way. Most of them probably weren't worth the bytes they were written on, I guess, but together they formed a picture of that part of my life. I think about that a lot--not just for my life, but on a grand scale. I wonder how many geniuses there are out there, people who will one day be famous, but there will be nothing left of their correspondences and daily minutiae for future generations to pore over because it was all stored on hard-drives and keychain disks and floppies. I wonder what will go in the Smithsonian a hundred years from now.

Mostly I wonder what happened to those people I used to talk to--to Laz and Cally and Zrst and Kiwi and Melly and RNA, to JNabis and AuroraDwn and Abbbycatt and Dross and Scorp and MGFP04C and "Kim" who was really Josh, who was only 16 and hadn't come out to his parents yet. I wonder what happened to all these people I knew by nicknames--8 letters or less and no special characters--and by the personas they created for themselves, out here where "no one can tell you're a dog". Some of them were pretty much just as they represented, and some of them recreated themselves completely--wedged their mousy lives and uninspired days into red corsets and high heels, and became the persons they always imagined themselves to be. I tried to be more my real self than any witty, dangerous fantasy-woman, and if I wasn't the most sparkling, in-demand conversationalist in the chat-rooms, I was at least recognized for being real. I think about all those people sometimes; I wonder if they ever think of me, if they ever think "Hmmm...I wonder whatever happened to __________."

As I wrote in a letter to Lou, in jail in Ohio, "the Internet is a hell of a thing." There are a lot of people in my life I'd like to find, people who live below the radar and who are thus impervious to Google, who can't be found through People Search; generally these are the ones I miss the most. (Then again, if I find them, I wouldn't have to miss them, I guess--so that makes sense.) Between the constantly-shifting identities and the vagaries of persistence on the Internet, I've begun to wonder if it's not a better tool for losing people than for finding them, sometimes.

I guess what I'm saying, in a roundabout, verbose way, is this: Thank you for being a part of my life, even if it's "just" through words on a screen...because even if it is, it really isn't "just" anything. There's no such thing as "just" a part of someone's life.

23 comments:

  1. I hope your 2007 is a wonderful one! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Gladys, good luck on the job in 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent far too much of my life in "Men With Minds" way back when. It was like a drug, wasn't it? And, no, I'm not going to say who I was...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to find you remembering the MWM chatroom. I miss the folks there and have wondered how they fared. Yes, it was a LOT of my time, as Anon has said above, but it was a place to go where everyone knew your screenname, at least. Now we can do this via the blogs, and I hope you have found a community as nice as some I have found in the Blogosphere. -SierraSkyz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also invested way too much time with the MWM crowd. Not a regret. Just a fact. - Scorpieos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spent most of law school in MWM. Found this blog looking for a place where anyone else remembered. I have wondered about some of the people you've listed. I wonder if I have ever wondered about you! Anyway, be well and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was curious if the MWM or SI rooms were still around and found this, Pretty cool there is something out there about the old hangouts. - Yert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. - PinkSnork aka PinkVirtigoil

    www.pinkfu.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Men With Minds? I spent at least one year in that chat room with the screen name JoeyCapo. I actually met a number of the denizens of that chat room, and slept with a few of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap, here's a load of names I haven't seen in a while. I remember JoeyCapo, Yert, and Sierra (still got them carrots?)

    I met a couple of people from there. I spent too much time there, too.

    -- Thumpalumpacus

    ReplyDelete
  11. These names all sound so familiar. I spent a lot of time in SI, not so much in MWM. Spooner36, Negotiable,Midnight something or other...met them in real life. Great people, great times. I spent too much money on AOL usage and probably too much time in SI, but I wouldn't change a minute of it. It's great to have those memories. They are certainly good ones in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sigh. MWM did wonders for my sex life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Late to the game, but this is BrinkkGirl... Hope all former MWMers are doing well... Except for Joey, of course...;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crkyspice misses you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. BrinkkGirl, uh, thanks. I recall a line from the movie Broadcast News when
    the protagonist played by William Hurt says to his rival after receiving a monster promotion in his career,
    "What do you do when your real life exceeds your dreams?" To which his rival replied, "You keep it to yourself."

    I've stayed in touch with some. Some have died. And I still think of all the others that have disappeared, those others that made me laugh like I haven't laughed since.

    And I've had one very lucky life and still don't understand why.

    Joey Capo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joey, you were one of my faves. I recall a lot about you and wish you all the best.

    -BG

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd blush but my immodesty prevents me from doing so. Thank you BG. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greetings from VenusMyLow.

    I still haven't slept with Joey. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ImLila22 and AriseandFly used to frequent both SI and MWM. Authors Lounge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was Matapalo and nosarafern. Named after the surf spot in Costa Rica where I still live. I knew Joey well. SI and MWM were the two places where I hung out the most.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was Matapalo and Nosarafern, Named after the surf spot in Costa Rica where I still live.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was Matapalo and Nosarafern, Named after the surf spot in Costa Rica where I still live.

    ReplyDelete