Monday, March 28, 2005

At Least I Have My Health

My suspicions were correct: I got e-mails this morning letting me know that both positions have been filled.

:::sigh:::

Obviously there's a reason for this somewhere. (Although I must admit, my faith in "there's a reason for this" has never really recovered from the debacle of October 1995.) But honestly? Just at the moment I don't care what the reason is--I just care that it sucks, mainly because it means a) I'm stuck here for the moment, and b) I have to go through the interview bullshit mill again for the next job.

It does not help me, not even a little bit, that today has been probably the most stressful day at work in months. We were given notice on Friday that it might be a good idea to take the servers offline for the weekend, since we were getting lots of hacker activity. So I took our servers offline and went home. I got here at 7:15 this morning intending to have everything up and running by the time everyone got here. I went to the database server and started it up with no trouble; then I went to the main file-sharing server and hit the power button.

And....nothing.

Hit the power button again.

Aaaaaand....nothing.

Swapped out the power cords. Nada. Switched to a different outlet. Not a click, not a whirr, not a ping. Dead like alternative.

Did I mention that this was the MAIN FILE SERVER? No? Well, it was. Is. Whatever.

Pause for panic.

I called the main department and asked them if they happened to have a spare G4 power supply laying around. Of course, the main department had MUCH bigger fish to fry--unlike us, the hackers actually DID compromise three of their servers--so even though we weren't exactly far down on the priority list, we were the thing that was LEAST on fire at the time. And all morning long, from 7:30 til about noon when the main department tech suddenly showed up unannounced with a whole new machine and swapped the old drive into it, it was "Gladys, when are we gonna be back online?" "Gladys, have you heard anything?" "Gladys?" "Gladys??" "Gladys???"

I felt like the mother of three-year-old octuplets in a grocery store.

And I owe the main tech guys from the department a MAJOR lasagna for their last-minute rescue misson.

If anyone's got a spare time-machine laying around, I'd like to go into the future far enough to see that eventually this WILL come to an end, that eventually I WILL get another job, that everything WILL work out and I won't be working here til I'm 80 years old and bitter, going home every night to a house full of cats. Because that's sorta how it seems right now, and I'm not enjoying that feeling much at all.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, the cats ain't so bad ;)

    Now, being the mother of 3 year-old octuplets...now THAT's bad!

    I wish I were owed major lasagna...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Gladys, I'm sorry. An email is a cowards way to do it and completely (at least in my HR opinion) unprofessional.

    Hang in there, girl. Something else is out there.

    If you want to commute to the north suburbs, email me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really, really hoping you'd get that job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank you all for your encouragement. I do appreciate it!

    Yogagrl--TWO e-mails. They BOTH e-mailed me to tell me no. Pack of rat bastards...this is why there is no such thing as corporate loyalty anymore, because too many people who should know better treat employees or potential employees like crap.

    Pisser--At the moment I'd even settle for MINOR lasagna.

    And fm--welcome! (That's an extensive profile you've got there, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete