Friday, January 6, 2006

Out of the Woods

I hereby declare myself officially Out Of The Woods as regards the possibility of dopesickness. For the first time all week, my appetite is back and my stomach is not upset; in short, I feel very very normal. Better than normal, actually, because it's devoid of the nervousness and fear that has characterized the past few days. I didn't ask them to increase my methadone dose today, also for the first time since this all started, and I was a bit apprehensive, but apparently I'm going to be all right (although I don't plan to push it by sleeping late--I'll be at the clinic promptly at 8 tomorrow, same as every other day.)

And, as I've said repeatedly throughout this whole experience: I'm done with heroin. This past few weeks have been really hard for me--more physically than mentally. I have almost zero tolerance for discomfort, when it comes down to it; I'm the sort of person who yelps when she stubs her toe, or cusses up a storm when she gets a paper cut. I'm an absolute infant when I get a cold or the flu; I'll hole up on the sofa with a blanket and a box of kleenex, looking pitiful, at the first sign of a sniffle. Maybe I see it as compensation for my mental strength--like if I have to be so emotionally strong, I can be a wuss about physical pain, or something. And dopesickness is the worst--because it's both physical and mental, and because it can so easily be postponed. I don't ever want to go through that again.

It's more than that, though. I can't entirely explain what the rest of it is; I'm only now beginning to understand it myself--but I know I want to leave it behind.

I am thrilled just to feel hungry again; thrilled not to worry about whether or not I'm going to be sick. It's nice to have my brain free for other things--even if it's just watching "Annie" on TV and playing that damn word game.

I'm happy. That's the long and short of it--I'm happy.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling better! This sounds so trite, but keep up the good work!

    You have a lot to be proud of. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. g,
    i'm so glad! seems like you needed to revist that finally put it past you.
    i'm there with ya- i've been sick as hell all week, and it made me appreciate how simple but important health is- without it, nothing else matters.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! I'm glad you are feeling happy. It's always good to have brain space to think about something else...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're feeling better. So long, Dopesickness! Hello, Normalcy!

    Hang in there, Gladys. The worst seems to be over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm indescribably happy to hear how happy, strong, and determined you sound. Firefly is bang on - perhaps you needed to revisit this to be done with it finally.

    ReplyDelete