Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History

I would have expected myself to get a little more grandiloquent and pompous tonight. Finally, finally, the last eight years of bullshit are over; that alone would be enough, but that it would unfold the way it has....What could I possibly add? Honestly, the weather in Chicago said it all today; sunny and bright, with the changing leaves gleaming in the sun and the cool breeze coming from the lake. It was perfect; it was a day for history.

The only thing I would change: I would wish for JP to be here for this moment. He was really a militant; in fact, he endured a lot of teasing from his childhood friends, for dating a white girl. I don't know if it ever stung him, but I would guess it probably did. The notion of an African-American President, back in 1995, was a pipe dream; yet here we are, thirteen years later, and within viewing distance of his mother's apartment Barack Obama is making his victory speech. I wish JP could have lived to see this day. It would have blown his mind.

As for me, I'm just happy and hopeful and worried, all at the same time. This could be the best thing to ever happen to America...or it could be the nightmare to end all nightmares. Time will tell. But tonight we are all a part of history, and I think the best thing to do is enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment