Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving, a Wee Bit Late

Let's see...You know, I don't know what it is :::coff:::lack of meds:::coff::: but I'm not at my most thankful this year. I mean, I'm not UNgrateful--I've certainly got nothing to complain of (well, except the Itch, which is still here, at which the allergist has finally shrugged her shoulders and suggested a dermatologist, and which seems to respond to exactly NONE of the various lotions, potions, cremes, and pills thrown at it by modern medicine) and many things which are overwhelmingly positive. But in terms of that sense of "Wow, I really have it good, don't I?" I'm going to have to admit that it's just not really strong this year.

I am thankful for my job, still. I am ALSO thankful for the week of days off which I have taken revolving around the Thanksgiving holiday. I have been off since Sunday, and I don't go back til next Tuesday, and even THEN I have Friday off. I need a break; towards the end of last week I was getting pretty snappish with customers.

I am thankful for my cats. I am especially thankful that Snickers isn't showing any after-effects from his yarn-eating escapade of last week.

I am EXTREMELY thankful for Thanksgiving leftovers. I just fixed myself the Obligatory Middle-of-the-Night Post-Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich, and I must say: nom nom nom!

I am thankful that our country is finally, FINALLY getting rid of GWB. I couldn't believe it when he was "elected", I REALLY couldn't believe it when he was RE-elected, and I'm thrilled that he's now run out his clock. Now, we just have to clean up his mess.

I am thankful that, for the first time in a very long time, I am in a reasonably-safe job in a reasonably-safe industry. This time two years ago I was completely terrified, not sure what would happen next; this year, my biggest concerns are housekeeping and the welfare of my various friends. (And the Itch, of course, but that's just background noise.) It's very unusual for me to feel safe in a job, but in this job, I do--both because I do a good job, and because it's been nearly-impossible to fill open positions in our department. And it's nice to have a job where I feel a sense of accomplishment, most days.

I'm incredibly thankful for all of you who read this blog and comment, or read this blog and lurk, or who find my mundane life interesting in any way. It's been a pretty dull year from my point of view--nothing too cool or catastrophic--so I'm especially grateful that none of you have been driven away by boredom. I'm grateful for your continued presence. I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving; that your tables were surrounded by those you love; and that your lefrovers are plentiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment