Saturday, November 15, 2008

One of Two Things Is Happening Here

Either a) I really, REALLY need to be on meds again, as in "more than even I suspect", or b) the human race at large is devolving into an irredeemable pack of heartless fuckwads.

Normally, I'd put the probability ratio of the two choices at about 50-50, or maybe 60-40. But in the case of the item that inspired this post, I'm going to have to rethink my optimism and call it 90-10, if that.

Here is the article. As you might imagine, I find it heartbreaking: three ostensibly smart kids, who have already overcome many of the difficulties of growing up in a rough neighborhood, who are on their way to greater things, die because they made a silly misjudgement in a moment of fun. I would cry at THAT no matter what.

But go to the end, and read the comments, and you'll see why I'm more depressed by this article than I would normally be; why I'm pretty much ready to write off the greater part of the human race as heartless assclowns. What on earth would possess these jerks to write such cruel things about people they don't even know--people whose families could very well be reading that website--that article--those comments?? Whatever happened to not speaking ill of the dead?

I am finding it harder and harder to deal with the human race in aggregate. Again, this may just be the absence of antidepressants...but I don't think that's the whole story. People have always been cruel; but lately, I think, they're getting crueller and crueller. That, just as much as the tragic story, makes me cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment