Sunday, June 19, 2005

Bad Biology

Now HERE is something for which I need an explanation.

The day before I went into the hospital, I got on the scale. The scale said 235, which is what it's said for a couple of months now. That was Tuesday morning a week ago.

On Tuesday I ate a bagel, half a muffin, and half a roast-beef sandwich. Everything came up when I got sick Tuesday night. From Tuesday at 7 PM til Sunday morning, I ate and drank NOTHING. No water, no food, no nothing. And everything came up. Input was zero; output was greater than zero. I mean, okay, yeah, I.V. fluids and morphine--but morphine has no calories, does it?

I was also, through most of this time, in a major fever. Like 101 or above. So it's not like my metabolism was completely shut down or anything.

From Sunday through Wednesday, I ate maybe ten bites of solid food, plus some jello. But that was IT.

So someone tell me why, when I got to Mom's and the FIRST thing I did was to get on the scale, and after SEVEN DAYS of all of the above, the scale STILL said 235?

Now seriously. If I have to go through barfing and fevers and pain and surgery and NOTHING to eat for days in a row, I think the LEAST I should be able to expect is to drop a size or two. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you???

Unfair, I say. Unfair!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there! Just found you online. I just moved to Independence @ Polk. Thought I'd say 'hi'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually isn't it a good thing you didn't lose any? I mean it's one thing to lose weight due to diet and exercise. But in your situation, it'd be a sign of severe malnutrion & dehydration.

    Thank your lucky stars that all that upchucking hasn't caused problems in your esophagus because of the acid passing through.

    Hang in there & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scales weigh differently. Weigh yourself on your scale at home, and you may have lost something. However, weight lost during such illness, appropriately, comes back. You do not want to lose weight in such a way. (I know, I know, that's stupid logic being a buzz kill.)

    I'm glad you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. orange haired boy: Welcome! I was just in your neck of the woods this afternoon, paying my damn comEd bill so they'd cut my lights back on. And may I be the first to say, blippity fling-flang to you! :)

    Sugarcane and Spinsterwitch...yes, your logic is a major buzzkill. :) And yes, I know it's not a healthy way to lose weight. But since I was going through it ANYWAY, I'd rather lose some weight on account of it than NOT lose any. (Someday I'll have to tell the story of the Heroin Diet--my one successful attempt at being skinny.)

    ReplyDelete