Saturday, November 18, 2006

Should I Even Bother?

Is it even worth my time and energy to rant about TomKat? Does it even merit the expenditure of muscular motion to type out how ridiculous I find all the media attention? Or how utterly pathetic a woman must be, to allow herself to be diminished to the point where she finds the following "vows" an acceptable expression of lifetime committment:
Scientology's "traditional ceremony" includes such advice to the groom as:
"Now -----, girls need clothes and food and tender happiness and frills, a pan, a comb, perhaps a cat. All caprice if you will, but still they need them."

The bride is told: "Hear well, sweet -----, for promise binds. Young men are free and may forget. Remind him that you may have necessities and follies, too."

Am I misinterpreting that, or is it basically saying, "Honey, your man is probably gonna screw around, and you should just tell him off and then deal with it"?

Does anyone else want to bash their heads against the table repeatedly at the very thought of this??

Despite my own cynicism and unbelief, I am--and a lot of people will tell you this--respectful of other people's religions to the utmost. However, I have studied enough about Scientology to know that it was never conceived as a religion--at best, it was conceived as a theory of human communications--and that L. Ron Hubbard was known to have said that the best way to make a fortune was to found a religion. I know enough about Scientology to know that (at least to the higher-ups) it's a money-making scheme, and they actively recruit celebrities to give it the appearance of legitimacy. They have a "Celebrity Center", for Pete's sake. The celebrities have nothing negative to say about Scientology because they have only experienced the positives; they're given special treatment and privileges, and they're not sucked dry of all their money in the hope of learning the "secrets" of Scientology--and what "secrets" they are! That's a whole 'nother blog post--Xenu and e-meters and body thetans and Teegeeack and the rest--or you could just go to Operation Clambake and read that, because it's very interesting stuff.

They're like a train-wreck. I can't stand them, and yet it's so freakish and stupid and wrong that I can't turn my head, and I actually feel a sort of cultural guilt over this. I rationalize: I would never pay money to see a Tom Cruise movie, nor for...well, whatever Katie Holmes has ever done...nor would I ever buy a magazine or newspaper because they were on the cover--but I'll read the free stuff, the stuff that's on the front page, that I don't actually have to look for. The same is true of all celebrity crap, really--I won't pay for it, nor will I actively support it, but if it's there I'll look at it.

Does that seem as hypocritical as it feels?

5 comments:

  1. I'm telling you Gladys, invent some sort of internet filter where I could list all annoying celebs, and it would block every story about them. Good luck on the job hunt, and don't worry, the whole world thinks that Tom is a asshat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, he's an asshat who is actually a pretty good actor. I guess you pick something up, if you do it long enough.

    I've been pretty much out of the loop with all the TomKat stories, really. It's pretty refreshing.

    As for the job situation, I know that patience is hard when you don't have money coming in, but I feel like there could be something really good around the corner for you. Also, if you do have sleep apnia, it will explain a lot, in terms of your drifting off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch the old Katie stuff, like Go and Pieces of April, and then wonder how she wound up with a fucktard like him.

    speidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Latin phrase that you were looking for over at EZ's is
    "In Vino, Veritas" "In Wine, Truth"

    ReplyDelete