Sunday, November 12, 2006

Unemployment Day 17: Yeah, This Will Work...

Tim got out of jail Thursday night. Friday morning I went to his friend's house to pick him up, and so he's spent the last couple of nights sleeping on his sofa and helping me clear out what's going to be his new room. And so far, this is working out just fine.

See, THIS is what living with someone should be like, even platonically: we TALK. We act goofy together. I can ask him to do something and get a verbal answer AND have the task accomplished--not just an eye-roll and a question of whether or not it will actually get done. We actually ate dinner together tonight, sitting at a table--something LJ and I have never actually done. (We've eaten at the same time, LJ and I, but always at the coffee table in front of the TV.) It was very cool. And when I get tired of talking, I can go upstairs and do what I want. There's no pressure of feeling like I have to be at someone's beck and call. He can keep himself entertained, and I can keep myself entertained.

Of course, tonight would be the night that LJ would call and tell me he's thinking about coming back to Chicago and staying a while. Not being one to break up over the phone, I didn't tell him that he'll be staying somewhere else--apparently he didn't pick up on the subtext of our last discussion. Oh well--I'm over it. This life I have right now (with the large and frightening exception of the job situation) is so much more the life that I want than the not-even-a-life I had when LJ was around...

Yeah, I think this is gonna work out just fine.

4 comments:

  1. Any chance you can convince LJ thaqt you moved to Bermuda?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. It probably wasn't at all a personality issue, but probably an internal candidate or something that has nothing to do with you at all.

    I think you should find out when LJ is coming home and simply have his things waiting at the front door for him. That's a subtext he should understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God almighty, DON'T let that man in your house!

    /unsolicited advice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I am so there with you. Break up and unemployment. It's good to know I'm not alone. :) Hang in there, it'll happen!

    ReplyDelete