Thursday, November 2, 2006

Unemployment Day 6: People Suck, But Not All Of Them

Well, the news on the cat front is uniformly unhappy. The vet called yesterday morning to inform me that my little curb-kitten didn't make it. I wasn't surprised, really--she was in such bad shape. I comfort myself with the fact that at least she died indoors, and not by being run-over or something worse. Poor kitty.

And I went to see my neighbor about her cat situation. She confirmed that she wanted to keep the kitten, but not the mama cat. She also said that she tried to keep the kitten in the house, but people kept leaving the door open (not surprising) and the kitten would run out. I asked her if she would let me take the mama cat to the shelter, and she agreed. A few minutes later her son knocked on the door to tell me that he'd caught mama-cat in the carrier and I could take her. I drove her downtown and told the Animal Cruelty people that I needed to surrender her. Because she's not mine, that brands her a stray, and means she has to go to Animal Care and Control. Because she's an indoor-outdoor cat, she's probably not adoptable. My only hope is that she has her kittens--she is indeed knocked-up--during the waiting period. And then, that a miracle occurs and someone takes her home, instead of down the long hallway. One of the women at the shelter said that there's a new no-kill shelter opening soon; any future rescues will go there, I think. I'm conflicted; I thought I was doing a good thing, but now I'm not so sure. I'm half-tempted to go to Animal Control and "find" her.

When I got home, I hugged the heck out of BadCat and Snick. They didn't appreciate it.

Today was my doctor's appointment. After listening to my litany of symptoms (related and unrelated), she ordered exactly what I thought she would: a sleep study, a litany of blood tests, and a follow-up. She's thinking the same things I'm thinking: either sleep apnea, diabetes, hypothyroid, or (one I didn't think of) possibly anemia. I'm calling tomorrow to schedule the sleep study; the blood tests are walk-in, but I have to fast for 8 hours first. I'm hoping we figure it out.

Then, after my appointment, I had to go back to Place Where I Used To Work, to pick up my belongings. It's fairly clear to me that Immediate Boss isn't too happy about the fact that they fired me; he told me to call him if I needed anything, and to use him as a reference. He was really cool, and after he helped me carry my boxes out to the car, he gave me a hug and wished me good luck. Any animosity I feel towards anyone at that place would have to be directed solely at Human Resources; almost everyone else was okay.

And I talked to the woman who'd called Tuesday about a job; it sounds great. She forwarded my resume to the I.T. manager, so I'm waiting to hear. All in all it's been a fairly encouraging couple of days, if you don't count cats. I'm getting my health issues taken care of; I have a promising job lead; and a reference I hadn't expected. And the house is looking much better, now that LJ's gone--to say nothing of my finances! I'm contented; I'd be happier if I had a job, but in the absence of income, I'm at least content.

1 comment:

  1. I really hope that you stick with it, and find out exactly what is going on. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete