Thursday, November 16, 2006

Unemployment Day 21: Getting A Little Scared, Now...

I've been out of a job for three weeks today.

That's not a normal state of affairs for me. I've always found SOMETHING, except when I was an active addict--and often, even then! Usually when I've left one job, it's because I've had another one lined up. I've only got one more paycheck worth of severance left, and Thanksgiving is next week. I've only had three nibbles: the agency, the job I didn't get, and one yesterday which sounds like it's WAY over my head. This isn't looking good, and I'm getting kinda scared.

But honestly, that's about the ONLY thing wrong right now. I think this situation with Tim is going to work out just fine. This is the first chance I've had to be alone and use the computer since he moved in; either he's on the computer, or we're working on something together. (He doesn't know about the blog, I don't think, and I'd like to keep it that way.) We've spent the last couple of days moving furniture from the apartment he was occupying with a friend of his; the friend skipped town and left a bunch of stuff behind (along with an $1900 bill for unpaid back rent and a five-day notice to vacate, which came BEFORE Tim went to jail!) Tim finally got a hold of him, and he told Tim to take what he wanted from the apartment, so we made a few trips and took a couple of bookcases, some coffee tables, a chair, assorted books, and--the hard part--a full-sized mattress and box-spring set and bedframe. This, of course, necessitated a trip to the hardware store to get rope to tie the mattress to the roof of the truck; and any trip to the hardware store necessitates at least an hour of looking around, at least for me. Tim tried to drag me out, but to no avail.

The best part about it was, Tim did all the work. I mean, he flatly refused all my offers of help; he did all the lifting, pulling, dragging, and shoving, at both ends of the project. Then together we cleaned out the back bedroom of all the random items which had accumulated there, moved some things upstairs and some things around the rest of the house, and he set up his bedroom exactly as he wanted it. Then he cleaned the rest of the house and ran a cable to the table we'd moved the computer to. He's a neat-freak, as well; the floors are swept daily, the catboxes scooped, the garbage taken out, the dishes washed. He doesn't do all of it--we take turns--but having someone else around has sort of shamed me into neat-freakitude myself, which I like. It's great. It's not perfect--I worry about his drinking and the fact that he smokes, though not often--and he's a bit of a chatterbox sometimes. But these are very, very small irritations. I'm glad he's around, really, and he's glad to be here.

In other news, my blood tests came back. Everything is apparently normal, with the slight exception of two: One is my glucose; apparently less than 100 is normal, and mine was 106; and the other is my cholesterol, which was 216. Neither of these is the end of the world, and both are controllable, but unfortunately neither of them explains why I can't keep my damn eyes open some days. My sleep study is Saturday night; from what Debbi's told me, they're quite an adventure. I'm just hoping they'll give me some idea of what's happening.

Even with the job still up in the air, I feel like things are coming together. I do wish the thing with LJ was completely finished, though; I'm not looking forward to that conversation, but it's got to be had. I wish it was behind me instead of ahead of me. Having that hanging over my head is distracting me from how much my life has improved, and frankly, I don't want to be distracted from that. Thanksgiving is next week, and I've got quite a lot to be thankful for.

3 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I'm on Day 30 of unemployment, and it was only until this afternoon that I really started to get freaked out.

    Actually, I still am a bit. I'm really curious about how I'm going to pay the rent for the coming month.

    Good times! Wo0t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep yer chin up, little one...I always got a job right away until I moved to Los Angeles, where I've had to temp my way into everything. Sorry about your curb kitten, at least she knew SOMEONE gave a shit about her :(

    And a roomie who scoops the cat boxes for you...? I'm...I'm...speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things can only get better, Gladys. And it all looks good for you.

    ReplyDelete