Thursday, December 16, 2004

Endless Fun With Public Transportation

So today, I'm sitting on the train. For nearly an hour, actually--there was some nebulous "delay" that left four El lines stranded throughout the downtown area.



But that's a whole 'nother story, and frankly I'm so sick of public transit that I can't even see straight--there's something else I'd rather discuss, anyway.



Scene: I'm listening to the radio while stranded as described. I flip stations pretty rapidly, but I tend to land pretty frequently on Q101--the local "alternative" mainstay for about twelve years now.



Like everything else in the last ten years or so, Q101 has gone completely to the dogs. The first step was when they hired Asscow--my nickname for Mr. M@nc0w Muller, the morning drive fuckstick whose name I will not type because I don't want any of his fucktard minion listeners to touch my blog--and then they started playing Metallica and calling it "alternative", and then they put the last nail in the coffin a few months ago by hiring three more fucktards for afternoon drive--"Woody, Tony, and Ravey". These three are the dregs of humanity and they totally contravene everything alternative music supposedly stood for in its heyday. Things they don't like are "queer" and "gay", women are manipulative fuck-toys judged solely on their looks, and--along with minorities--are regularly the butt of jokes.



Today, I stopped at Q101 and caught this treasure right here--an absolutely stunning example of Bush-era thinking:



The topic was a study showing that teens are having sex less than they used to--boys as well as girls--and claiming that it's because of the educational efforts in promoting abstinence. And I can quote the following sentence verbatim, because I wrote it down.



"See, little teenaged boys...they'll have sex with anything, as long as you LET them. See, THAT's where you get the win--you get the little GIRLS to say no, and then the boys won't be having any sex!"



This, disgustingly neoconservative sentiment though it was, wouldn't have been too jarring, coming from them--but then they led directly into the next song:



"Heart-Shaped Box", by Nirvana.



You know--that band who led off a revolution which, among its other good ideas, advanced the wild notion that women were PEOPLE, even in rock--and that it was perfectly all right to want what you want, even if that means you go against the prevailing tide. The same revolution that, just for a brief while, acknowledged that women were sexual beings and that was fine.



I get a little passionate about this. I was a beneficiary of that revolution and I am now contending with the aftereffects of the backlash against it. I allowed a man to revoke my sexual autonomy for almost four years because he had his own notions of what it meant to "be a man"--which involved the subjugation of all those who didn't fit that definition of "a man". I am still dealing with the effects of those four years, and unfortunately the guy I'm with now, though he's a wonderful man and makes me very happy, has no concept of what I have to get past, or how to help.



So when I see evidence of that old stupid Eisenhower-era thinking coming back into vogue, even among people who ought to know better--yeah, I'm gonna get pissed, even if it's just some lame, meaningless radio show.

3 comments:

  1. The state of radio is sad indeed these days. It makes you wonder where the hell they come up with these clowns. Can it be that hard to hire a D.J. with a knowledge of music, a sense of humor, and a modicum of intelligence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to listen to Tom Lick-Ass, you'll know why I agree with you 100% on this... people repeat what they hear. If they hear this all the time and think it's funny and acceptable then it is legitimately funny and acceptable.

    /end rant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear to Some Important Deity, one of these days I'm going to CafePress and designing myself a t-shirt based on this quote, which actually comes from an earlier post on much the same topic:

    "When you celebrate the Cult of the Dumbass, you FEED the Dumbass. And eventually, you BECOME the Dumbass."

    ReplyDelete