Saturday, December 25, 2004

Okay, Question

My Christmas thought for the day:



What the hell is the deal with all these "nanny" shows? So now we need television to tell us how to raise our children? This is just a scary, scary thought.



Or is this more feminist backlash--"see, if you stayed HOME with your children, they wouldn't be such irredeemable heathens--but since you've chosen your CAREER..."



I had a conversation with my mom tonight on the ride home, prompted I guess by the presence of a couple of babies at our Christmas dinner, in which I explained to her the reasons she won't be getting any grandchildren. I'm too much of a cynic; I couldn't muster the comforting little warm-fuzzies necessary to raise well-adjusted human beings. I can't forget what I know. I can't pretend to believe in happily-ever-after, or even happily-for-more-than-a-few-minutes-ever-after. In short: I'm not having kids because I wouldn't be very good at it, and unlike quilting or golfing or skeet-shooting, if you're not good at parenting you can't just quit; if you're not good at parenting you leave generations of wreckage ever after.



"I never gave it a second thought," my mother said.



"Most people don't, I think," I told her.



For some reason, this has been one of the harder Christmases in recent memory. I am miserable in my own skin; I think I need to do something about my body because it's really, for the first time I can remember, actually making me feel bad about the rest of me. I see pictures of myself and I'm pretty much disgusted with what looks back at me. Even when I make an effort to look good, I don't look good--I look "good for ME."



Another big part of it is this: I have done nothing this year. Nothing. I've gotten up every day, gone to work, come home, gone to bed, and started over. On the weekends--I've done nothing. I am living only enough to keep living. I can even count on my fingers the number of times I've had sex in the past 365 days. And if I didn't remember a time when it was different--when I was different, when my life was different--I don't suppose it would bother me. But I do remember a time like that--and it's not something I can get back, even though it's the only thing I really want.



I'm giving my life as it stands another six months--there are some things coming up after the new year that may improve conditions, or may make them worse--but if it gets to be late May or early June and nothing has changed, I'm going to take drastic action--quit my job, maybe, just for a start. I see that as the major stumbling block in my life right now--though there are others in close second--and it's going to be the first thing to go, no matter what I have to do to get there.



I have other plans, of course--I'm a great one for plans, though weak on executions--and I will be working on them in the interim--but I will not live another year like this one. I can handle the mundane parts of life, but not when that's all there is.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmahaunakwanzicah, Galdys!

    On the Nanny question - as a parent (an unplanned one who got a tubal soon after, but a parent nonetheless) I don't see the nanny shows as feminist backlash so much as ignoramous exploitation. Look, lookit how bad they're doing! My kids is better than that! Yeehaw! (Or at least, that's what we say when we see it... ;))

    Another feminist note - I've actually watched the shows a couple of times (EEEK! No, seriously - it was like a trainwreck, I couldn't help myself) and half of them ARE stay at home mothers. Less theory and thought, more "what the hell kinda trainwreck do people want to watch next? I know: shitty parents!".

    Not wanting kids isn't a bad decision. It's a responsible decision.

    More power to you in the next year - may it bring a lot of needed and refreshing change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say you've done nothing this year, I beg to differ.
    You've authored one the most engaging, honest & funny blogs on the web & that IS something.

    ReplyDelete