Saturday, January 29, 2005

Oh Happy Day

This morning, before going out to run errands, I stopped to check my bank balance. And for a change, it had TOO MANY numbers.



::happy chair dance:::I got my tax check, I got my tax check...



I'd say that most of the time, I am a bad little American. I do not consume.



I am wearing, for example, the same pair of shoes LJ bought me last Valentines Day. My snow boots--last year's. Coat--same. I've bought one pair of jeans in the last year. I have several pieces of clothing that are over ten years old. My sofa is a ten-dollar garage-sale special from seven years ago--although, to be fair, that's exactly what it looks like and we really could use a new one. The newest TV in our house is the one LJ brought back from the block one day. My main expenses are food and utilities. And that's mostly intentional. I'm no great believer in retail therapy.



But today, my friends--today I went SHOPPING.



I bought myself a router. (Yeah, I'm one of THOSE girls--I like power tools. I make no apologies.) I bought myself half-a-dozen little tools that I didn't realize I'd needed--nail set, screw punch, cross-level--and some clamps, and some shelf cleats, and a doormat, and some jeans, and a hoodie, and some new pajamas.



My hair is full of sawdust from my initial explorations with the router--I have much to learn, but the bentwood chair now has a new plywood seat, so the experiment wasn't a complete failure.



Tomorrow: the upstairs closet gets shelves.



This is fun.



1 comment: