Friday, August 26, 2005

A Dilemma, of Sorts

Anonymous blogging has been the salvation of my existence, really, and I'm not quite exaggerating when I say that. Under my nom de blog, I've been able to write about my family, my relationships, and my former job with impunity, and to talk freely about things which I would never be able to say under my real name. It's been, at times, the only voice I've had, a sorely-needed safety valve during some pretty sour moments.

Along the way a funny thing has happened; Gladys the blogger has developed a distinct personality of her own. She's been described as "feisty", which is not an adjective that would ever be applied to my real-life persona. In real life I'm shy, non-assertive, opinionated as hell, but only when no one can hear me; I back off from confrontations and avoid uncomfortable interactions--which is to say, all of them. Gladys is...well, feisty. Gladys is the person I always imagine myself to be when I'm behind the wheel of my car, which, since I've been old enough to drive, has always been the time I've felt most powerful. Gladys is an echo of the woman I was when I was with JP, strong and capable and unafraid.

No one in my real life, except Firefly, knows of Gladys's existence. LJ is oblivious, which is fine with me, I guess; I wouldn't want him reading this, but I wish he cared enough to be nosy. There was a close call with one of my new co-workers; I found his name in the comment section of one of the posts at Eric Zorn's blog the day after EZ quoted my post about Aria's death--and I'd left work the day before telling everyone I had a sick cat!! He didn't make the connection, though, and as of today he's no longer a co-worker. (That's another story, probably another post.) But other than that, my real life and Gladys's electronic life only intersect in one place: me.

I am tempted, however, to change that very slightly.

The Brit was away on vacation for a week, and Monday when he returned he told me that while they were on vacation, he'd proposed to his longtime girlfriend and she'd accepted. I swallowed the chunks of my broken heart long enough to congratulate him (sincerely--he seems mostly happy with her, and that's the important thing) and then we went back to our usual chatter and subversion. I still flirt a little, of course, but that's what I do with most of my male friends; it's just playful, mixed in with all the real conversation. Mostly now we talk about current events, my old workplace, politics and philosophy--same as always, really.

Every month, Eric Zorn (from the Tribune) does a month-in-review piece in his blog, Change of Subject. The bloggers he recruits as contributors have traditionally been more the news-oriented or political bloggers. But apparently he's trying to expand that somewhat, because this past week I was invited to contribute for the month-in-review at the end of September. And of course, I'm going to seize the opportunity; despite the largely-personal tone of this blog, I'm really a huge news nerd.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I would love love love for the Brit to know about this. I would love for him to be able to read my musings on the news and politics in a forum more prestigious than our little e-mail correspondence. (Yeah, I'm vain. I never said I wasn't.) But to make that possible, I'd have to tell him about Gladys. And if he knows about Gladys, he'll be able to find this blog; and if he finds this blog, he'll know about my huge unrequited crush.

I don't think it matters, exactly; after all, he's officially engaged now and that's a big hands-off, in my way of thinking; "dating" is one thing, but "engaged"...well, that's like "we really mean it!" And now that it's officially impossible, I'd be less embarrassed about having my crush revealed. But the point of this type of pseudonymous writing is that NOBODY knows who you are; I was conflicted enough about letting ONE person know the existence of my blog. (Not because I don't trust Firefly--she knows all my gory details anyway, up to and including an unfortunate wardrobe moment back in college involving dark-colored striped underwear and light-colored polka-dot shorts, and if she hasn't ever blackmailed me with THAT story, she's worthy of my eternal trust.) But just because I want to be free to write about EVERYTHING...which is why I'm hesitant to bring the Brit into the little nest I've built here. After all--what if I one day decide I'm NOT over it? Or what if my continued carnivorous ways bring him to the end of his patience and he spitefully reveals my true identity shortly after we end our friendship in a hail of accusations and invective? (Okay, that would never actually happen--he's not an evangelical vegan, though he has tried to persuade me of the error of my ways--but you see what I mean. The more people know who Gladys is, the less control I have of my anonymity.)

But I really really really would love for him to know about my Zorn contribution, when it happens; I'm just really proud to have been asked. And it's just the sort of thing he and I discuss all the time, so I think he'd be impressed.

I suppose I could tell him about it and exact a promise that he won't click on any links or do any Googling or try to investigate anything else about it; he's an honorable guy, and I'm sure if he promised, he'd follow through.

Still, it seems risky. Fortunately, I've got a month or so to think about it. Opinions, anyone?

7 comments:

  1. Good to think about. My blog has mostly not been anonymous (since the people who know me know my e-mail address and could google the blog anytime) since the day it started, and I did specifically invite people in.

    But this is a matter of the heart: as much as the crush is squashed, feelings do not, from personal experience, just disappear.

    I guess I have no advice on this, but think well and go gently (yes, yes...very dorky).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something to be said about anonymity, at least among those who know you (I care very little about remaining anonymous for the rest of you!). I'm such an attention whore, I've told almost everyone (with a few notable exceptions - The Ex, being one, and My Mexican) about my blog and a fair number of my friends read it without commenting. Which is nice in some ways but also a little stilting: I recently had an issue with a friend of mine that had upset me quite a bit, and I would have LOVED to write about it and seek feedback except... yeah. And it's happened on more than one occasion. I now semi-regularly wish that fewer people who actually know me know about my blog. I've even considered starting an entirely new, totally anonymous blog for just these moments.

    I doubt you'll run into that with your Brit because he has an entirely different role in your life, but think about it. It means never being able to write about him again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell the Brit. Maybe he'll be nosy enough to investigate and find out how you feel about him. It could end happily, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be cautious. You know it has caused me some problems...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had hung onto my anonymity. Now that friends have found my journal, I write far less openly than I used to and I miss having that outlet for pure thought. The Brit may never tell a soul about your journal, but you'll still always know he's reading, or could be reading, and if you think that will change how you write and share, it may not be worth it.

    Congrats on the Zorn invitation, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, you could give him a copy of what you wrote in a word doc instead of directing him to the blog
    and tell him that you were published- that way he'll read what you wrote but not find out about the blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Firefly's nailed it there.

    I kinda regret telling a couple of real people about my blog, it limits me & I do not like limits.

    ReplyDelete