Tuesday, August 2, 2005

About Chez Gladys

One of my loyal reader/commentors, eatmisery, asked me a question today which seems to deserve an answer. In response to yesterday's post about the drug spot and its sandwich truck, she asked:

"Chez Gladys will be okay, right? Would you ever consider selling the place to move elsewhere? I know you love where you're at, but is it worth it? What would be a good reason to stay? I'm genuinely curious."


Chez Gladys should be fine. This block is rough, but it's a two-sided coin, you see.

I've posted here and there about LJ and his "job", which I like to characterize as "freelance herbal-pharmaceutical sales". And in this capacity, he is involved with a loosely-allied organization whose members profess similar employment. Really, it's not much different from any other professional organization; it's like the Teamsters, only with more guns. They have their rules, their policies, their ways of doing business, things which are not to be violated, and they police themselves.

The nice thing about it is that all the members of LJ's "union" know each other, or know someone who knows someone who knows everyone. And so, for example, the other morning when I came outside and there was a strange man retrieving something from under our front porch (which he swore wasn't drugs, but c'mon now), all it took was a two-minute call to LJ to ensure that such a thing would never happen again. "I talked to dude," he said later that night, "the one with the motorcycle, the one who runs the block? And he said he was gonna talk to everyone and tell them to stay away from our shit."

Another example: the other day when Tim was here and we were running errands, we came home with our hands full of bags. In trying to juggle everything while taking my housekeys out of my pocket, apparently I forgot to press the "lock" button on the car remote.

Just before he came to bed around 3, LJ went out to get a few things out of the truck that he'd left there--a couple of CDs, some mail. He came back in and said "I think someone was fuckin' with the truck--the glovebox was open, and that little box inside the armrest--like they was lookin' for something." I thought about it and realized what I'd done, and apologized even though they hadn't stolen anything (there was nothing to steal!).

The next day LJ called me at work to tell me that he'd talked to one of his other associates on the block, who told him that he'd seen someone in the truck--probably a crackhead, he said--and that he'd run him off before he could do any real damage.

I've tried to explain this to various friends and family members, but it's hard to understand unless you're here: the drug dealers want trouble just as much as I do, which is not at all. And the worst kind of trouble would be trouble involving me, because of the fundamental politics of race here in Chicago.

See, if a black person kills another black person in this neighborhood, it might make the news, depending on the circumstances. Mostly, though, it's just "expected" somehow. But if a white person dies at the hands of a black person, that's a headline. And if the victim was a white woman? An educated, professional white woman? That would bring down the police like the wrath of God--and THAT would be very, very bad for business. All the drug dealers want is to do what they do in peace, really.

Some of them know me by sight; they'll say hello when I'm sitting out on the porch, or laugh at me when I go stand in the spray from the fire hydrant. They smile at me as I drive past; like my neighbors to the east or the woman on the corner who keeps offering me free kittens, they're just part of the neighborhood. I know they don't quite know why I'm here, though I'm sure some of them see LJ and draw their own conclusions; but they also know I'm not going to interfere with them, and between that and the affiliations they share with LJ, they don't interfere with me either.

Could I sell this house? Maybe. It wouldn't be easy; there are five or six other vacant houses on the block, most of them with "For Sale" signs in the window, and my house (as we know!) has some flaws that need to be corrected before it would really be salable. If it sold, I'd almost certainly make a profit. But if I stay longer, if I fix this house up the way I plan to, I will quite likely make a killing. This neighborhood, sooner or later, will be one of the hot places to buy. I've watched for ten years as the gentrification crept westward, and it's coming closer. I don't think I'm entirely happy about that--there's a reason I don't live in Lakeview or Lincoln Park--but from a financial standpoint it's not a bad thing.

More importantly, though--I feel like this is where I belong, somehow. (Or at least, if I don't belong here, there's an actual REASON for it, instead of the nebulous not-belonging I've felt nearly everywhere else in my life. I can deal with not belonging somewhere as long as there's a good reason. It's that inexplicable, I-should-fit-in-here-but-somehow-I-don't feeling that I can't stand.)

Plus: I'm a writer. Someday all these experiences will be useful...I hope.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for answering, Gladys! I hope I didn't offend you by asking those questions. I was genuinely curious.

    You're happy. That's the main thing. And one day, you will make a killing. If not from the house, then from elevenevele.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Offend me? Not at all! (I'm very difficult to offend. Republicanism is about the only thing that can do it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first year I lived in DC, I lived in far northeast. I would come home some nights from work after dark and wouldn't feel safe unless the local dealer was on the corner. I always knew that there was someone watching out for the neighborhood (and me walking to my house) when he was there. The day I felt most unsafe in my house (even despite the break-in we had) was the day that the cops staged a huge bust in the alley across from the house. At one point guns were drawn and there was running and shouting. Very tense.

    It may all seem like twisted logic, but what Gladys says is true...the last thing the dealers want is trouble in their neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that post!
    A great insight that made pure sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiya gladys!
    take this comment with ALOT of salt, and dont read anything into it. i just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts.

    your post makes total sense. but it also reminds me of something that one of my ex's said - it had to do with being mugged.

    even in shitty LP/LV i worried for her safety. ESP w/ alot of the muggings and rapes that were going on @ the time. its nowhere near the same level as other parts of town, but that didnt make me feel better when it came to her wellbeing. i started sending her self-defense info, and eventually i simply asked her what she would do if she was mugged.

    her answer: kick the fucker in the nuts and run like hell. NOT exactly what i was expecting (although she's pretty fiesty SO it doesnt surprise me). her logic - why give up her wallet, the guy doesnt want to face an aggravated assault/murder charge EVEN if he's holding a gun. the guy probably see's her as easy money.

    which is ABSOLUTELY reasonable IF the guy is... REASONABLE. i had to explain to her that sometimes people dont act reasonably. people dont want to be charged with murder, but then again people may not care about taking a human life either. her wallet may not seem worth her life to her, but maybe it would to him.

    in short - i told her to hand over her wallet and NOT waste her life on a couple of bucks.

    YOU know what its like living where you live. i certainly am in no position to preach. i simply want to say - be safe. im sure the street pharmacists dont want trouble. but maybe their clientale arent so discriminating (or thinking that clearly).

    nice post! gentrofication sucks. esp when half of lincoln park dont even know what it means! ha!

    cheers
    hooizz

    www.xanga.com/hooizz

    ReplyDelete
  6. hooizz--A very good point you make.

    I am far more worried about the clients than the distributors; having been on that side of the equation myself, I know that addiction makes you do things you might not do otherwise.

    I would absolutely, unquestioningly hand over my wallet and then run like hell. (Maybe I'd kick the fucker in the nuts too--depends on how badly he'd pissed me off!) But mostly I do the sensible things: not going out alone after dark, that kind of thing.

    Something _will_ kill me someday; though that doesn't mean I have to encourage it, I'm not going to live in fear of it either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Initially? Some really outstanding sex (now just a long-distant memory) and a sense of possibility which I hadn't felt for years.

    Now?

    Well...He's not hard to live with, generally; he's a known quantity and he hasn't outright rejected me. He's HERE, in other words.

    I'm selling him short, in some ways. He's not a bad guy, just...clueless. We don't argue, but sometimes I think that's because he doesn't see anything important enough to argue about...

    Meanwhile, I get permission to ignore the fact that I'm terrified of reaching for anything better, because I can only take so much rejection and speaking mathematically, the definition of "so much" = 0.

    It's a mutually beneficial relationship, of sorts. He's keeping my own personal wolf from the door. And he's happy enough (he says, anyway, and why wouldn't he be? I make no demands on him--literally none) so I'm not really hurting anyone. Or at least that's how I frame it for myself.

    And yes, I'm aware that I've just painted a very squalid and lonely picture of my interior landscape. But it's also very accurate.

    As for your rights to my reality being zip--hey, if I was touchy about my reality, I wouldn't have a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very concisely put, Mystic.

    And Gladys, I agree with brando, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gladys,
    I understand completely what you're doing, and I agree with everyone else, you're way totally cool. Before becoming a suburbanite again I had lived roughly what I guess would be near your neighborhood although my area had already seen the gentrification and it was just getting more and more gentrified. But I felt safe and I loved it there. Now that I moved I'll never be able to afford to live there again.

    From the way you write and what you write you sound so totally like me and my friends and if we were to meet I bet we'd get along really well (and then eventually piss each other off and get all snippy but then be friends again...you know the thing...)

    My blog has moved by the way... I splurged on my own domain: www.dreadpiratealice.com

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, my wife has been saying almost the exact same thing to would-be visitors for the past few years.

    From my extensive knowledge of Chicago neighborhoods, I think many of the neighborhoods have an unjustified.

    Two of the most telling:

    A mover helping us move shook his head and said, "I hate the West Side."

    A man installing security doors for us was steadily making negative comments about the area, which just seemed very ironic.

    One of the most redeeming qualities about the area, though, is the sense of community. Most neighbors have been nothing but polite and inclusive. We're consistently invited for parties and BBQs. I'm just too much of a computer geek and homebody.

    And, hell, everybody knows my name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, if I lived anywhere near Chicago, I would so take you out one night and find you a boy who is easy to get along with AND actually deserves you.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Gladys,

    Here's another one of those "I hope you don't take this wrong" comments, but I don't think you will:

    Please don't sell yourself short and settle for someone out of fear of being alone. I've only begun reading your blog, but here's what I've noticed for starts:

    1)You've survived life as an addict
    2)You've watched loved ones succumb to life as an addict
    3)You're obviously talented
    4)You obviously have the ability to draw people to you in good ways
    5)You have the guts to buy a house in hell

    This basically amounts to you being a strong person that people like. Even if the little voice in your head likes trys to tell you otherwise.

    Sorry. I hope you really are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh! New commentor!!! :) Welcome...

    The little voice in my head, though, doesn't argue most of your points. The problem with the little voice in my head is that it is concerned, almost exclusively, with the prospect of Never Getting Laid Again.

    Now, the voice has almost NO prior experience to support its insistence that if I leave LJ, I will spend my waning years in celibacy and frustration; however, it's got plenty of ammunition to make me THINK it has supporting evidence. It's like George Bush and the weapons. No real evidence, just stuff that LOOKS like evidence.

    And so far, it's been just as successful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On the subject of never getting laid again...

    I've got a good friend who just recently extricated herself from a 3 year relationship that started out good and just decended into constant insecurity and fighting. She was incredibly feisty when we met in high school, but it kind of got drained from her as this relationship took its toll on her. She's a big girl, size...22 I think, and I know that a lot of the reason she didn't leave the relationship is fear of no one else liking her. Well she broke up with him, finally, for good...and as soon as she started to let the gloominess about him go she went wild with the new-found freedom. :-) And she had no trouble getting laid, I can tell you. So, anyway, I hope the fear is not due to your size, she did it, I do it (I'm a 16), all my large-sized friends do it. The real trick is not to sell yourself short, not to assume that you're unsexy because you're big.

    Of course, if you're happy where you are, then stay where you are...but 'I'll never find anyone better' is a terrible reason to not try to be happy. Especially if your doubts hinge on weight. I suppose that's a little preachy from a new commenter, so I'm sorry. I just hate to see women buying into this 'I'll never find anything better because I'm fat' myth...cuz shy, chubby me has found someone great (and way too goodlooking for me) and I'm totally not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, also...I love your writing. I keep forgetting to check your weblog regularly, but everytime I come here I'm impressed. I need to remember to put it on my regularly-checked rotation.

    ReplyDelete