Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thanks, Everyone

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments. Anyone who's ever loved a pet knows this particular pain, and I thank you all for your support.

I posted a few days ago about joining one of those all-women gyms. And I've been fairly good about going--the only days I missed were Tuesday, from laziness, and yesterday because...well, you know. Determined to make up for it, I donned my workout clothes and went in today after work.

Well, I now need a new wardrobe just for working out.

I knew this chain--Curves--had a history of bad politics. I knew the founder was a fundamentalist Christian and blah blah skippy. There are things we overlook when we feel we have no alternatives (and before you go saying "Bally's" I refuse to work out with gym-rats and women whose makeup never runs. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.) I signed my little contract and bought some Payless gym shoes.

Well Monday, as I was finishing up my workout with the recommended stretches, I noticed a sign on the wall. "Protect the sanctity of marriage! Call your representatives and tell them: Marriage is one man and one woman!!!"

I was irked by this, substantially, but it was too late to cancel my contract. Instead I packed my "Can we have our country back now?", W-with-a-slash-through-it T-shirt to wear during my next workout.

Today--wearing the aforementioned shirt--I discovered something new--a small table beneath that sign, with two clipboards....bearing petitions for a state referendum defining marriage as one male, one female--period.

And at that point I decided: I'm going to buy a large selection of EXTREMELY leftist t-shirts. Just to make the point, and possibly to provoke a confrontation, from which I will promptly flee.

Once I'd made that momentous decision, I spent the rest of my workout trying to resolve a philosophical question:

Not five minutes after discovering the petitions, I was regaled with an amped-up 240-beats-per-minute remake of "Y.M.C.A.", quite literally the gayest song ever written (with the possible exception of "In The Navy", which--see above.) How can a company who espouses the inequality and inferiority of gay people then turn around and prominently feature songs by the fer-cryin'-out-loud VILLAGE PEOPLE on their workout muzak??? What do they think is HAPPENING at that Y.M.C.A?? I'll give you a hint, Curves Fundies--it ain't a wholesome game of Scrabble!!!

This is another one of those Things I'll Understand When I'm Older/Dead, I guess.For now--off to scandalize the sweaty wingers.

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about Aria, Gladys. She'd be proud of your leftist intrigues. You be sure to throw Curves a curve ball. The glee it gives will fuel your exercise regime as well.

    You're uber rad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was going to Curves they never had anything political there. but I had to cancel because their hours sucked. they closed up at 6:30 I didn't get out of work until after 6:30 most days... And like I'm going to get up early to exercise... pshht...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gladys - go get 'em. This site has some excellent shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/bettybowers/626823

    I have this one http://www.cafepress.com/bettybowers.12813130 and it always gets a laugh, even though it's now out of date (it being post-election, post-Ashcroft).

    I'm really sorry about your kitty. I love that she is in the dish rack in the picture. Why do cats sit in such weird places anyway? Mine loves my underwear drawer.

    Anonymous Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So here's the deal with Curves...the owner of the whole shebang is extreme fundy, but he sells the franchises to whomever can afford to have one. So the franchise owners have control over what goes into their "store" politically - this is not dictated from farther up (or they would just not have any business in the Bay Area).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even better--more chances to piss off the person who's actually responsible for propagating this crap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My issue with curves had more to do with the mind-numbingly boring workout cycle and the hyper-peppy dance mix version of "It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To." I lasted all of four sessions there before I defaulted on my deposit and went to join a real gym. I only recently learned about the politics and am even happier to not be a part of it.

    That being said, my aunt loves the social aspect and it's worked wonders, and if anyone can change the world, it's our Gladys. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just "ignant" - they have no idea what that song is about.

    I'd read your contract before wearing the t-shirts. She may have something in there about misconduct that can cancel your contract but hold you liable for the full cost. If she is using her business for political propaganda, it wouldn't surprise me if she tried to pull something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ka--that music makes me want to repeatedly bash my head against the nearest propaganda-covered wall. Were it not for the "change stations now" voice, I would SO be wearing my headphones.

    Dida--Oh, I wish she would try some stuff like that. I would have that story all over the "librul" media just as fast as I could type. It's no fun to be on the receiving end of my outrage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a great bumper sticker that says "The last time a nation listened to a bush they wandered the desert for 40 years."

    The guy also makes T-shirts. I enjoy it due to it's dual anit-bush and anit-religious nature. Good luck - and hey, now you have one more reason to go to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gladys,

    My cat looks so much like the dishrack kitty! Except no white. Anyway, she had kittens three weeks ago. Two look are grey and and will be long hair like her. Let me know if I can supply you with a new kitten

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam...Thanks so much for the offer, but I'm going to hold off on kittens for a bit--at least til the Evil Houseguests (my friend's three cats, who I've been cat-sitting for nearly a year now) are reclaimed.

    And then I think I'm going to start rescuing the kittens of strays around Chez Gladys, to whom I've seen some very unhappy things happen in my two years here. If I can't persuade my neighbors to keep their cats safe inside, the least I can do is take in the resulting kittens, keep them safe and get them FIXED!

    But I do appreciate the offer, truly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gladys...just remember - no becoming a crazy cat lady. Rescue a few kittens and take the rest to the ASPCA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, Spins....but I'd be such a GOOD Crazy Cat Lady!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take the leftover kitties to the Treehouse on the north side ... it's a cat-only no kill shelter, and they're really nice.

    Sorry about Aria. She was very pretty. Losing a pet is a really hard thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gah. Don't people around here ever use birth control?! Oh right. They don't. Silly of me to expect it of their cats...:P

    I love your Aria! So much like my Zippy. He's 16, grey and white (same pattern), and he sends you nose kisses of consolation. And "The Biter", too.

    I'll fart on Curves on the way home for you...LOVE your t-shirt campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you're okay. I, too, know the heartache of losing a beloved pet. I lost Buddha a few months ago, but I can't take her wallpaper off my desktop.

    If you need me, you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always been a fan of the Northland Poster Collective.

    http://www.northlandposter.com

    I've never lost a pet who was personally dear to me, but I saw how much it tore up my stepmother to lose her Scotch terrier. I hope your memories bring you some comfort in these tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, at least now you have more incentive to go to the gym, right? Pissing off the fundies and getting into shape!

    I had no idea that Curves was owned by fundamentalists, but I know how much you've been wanting to make changes in your life, so I'm glad to see you taking the steps.

    I'm sorry about Aria. I haven't lost any pets of my own, but I dread it. Having worked at animal hospitals and Treehouse (which is a good shelter), I've seen plenty of deaths, many of them needless, and it just makes me dread the day I have to put down one of my own. Sounds like Aria had a great 14 years with you. I can't believe, though, that your evil houseguests are still there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this post. I didn't know about the fundy thing and I've been a member for two months now. So far my "store" has only posted flyers for cruises and dinner theatres, and I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete