Monday, September 26, 2005

AUUGGGHHH!!!!

94.7, you whore.

It wasn't enough to break my heart back in the early 80's, when you were the first FM radio station I'd ever loved: WRCK ("It's W-Rock and it's rock come alive/Chicago's hits on 95!!"), by gradually becoming a clone of WLS-AM, even going so far as to bring in Steve Dahl and simulcast WLS's programming. That wasn't bad enough.

And it wasn't bad enough in 1991 when you went from "Z-95" to some weird-ass dance/Hispanic format that lasted, if I recall correctly, all of five minutes--destroying, in the process, the only radio station which would play the real cool college-radio music mixed in the same blocks with rap and dance and everything else. There was no "alternative" then--there was Z-95. And then there wasn't, and that was hard--but even THAT wasn't bad enough, was it.

No, now you've done it again. This morning I drove to work listening to "Sludge and Brian" on "The Zone", playing Slipknot and Alice In Chains; at lunchtime I got into the truck and pressed that second preset button, looking for something a little harder than the Fall Out Boy they were playing over at Q101. And I got...

...the Monkees.

And then the Ides of March, and then: a promo for "94.7--Chicago's REAL Oldies".

94.7, you are a lying, unconstant format-slut, and I will never fall in love with anything broadcast on your frequency again.

And now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to go curl up on the sofa with a box of Kleenex and eat an entire pint of chocolate Haagen-Dazs, straight from the carton.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. That just sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No mention of the format CD94.7 where they tried and nearly succeeded at a "Drive" type format of classic rock...and no mention of the prior "Kicks Country" format or the All 80's Music format they tried shortly after killing the Classic rock CD94.8 format? Please... when they became "Alternative" with the Zone as a media buyer, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. Although I didn't expect them to last this long...but I knew a format change was inevitable. 94.7 is the joke of the radio industry...they change formats more often than a female Oscar host changes clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "lying, unconstant format-slut"


    Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete