Saturday, July 17, 2004

As Weekends Go

I have to say, this may be the most gruelingly-mediocre weekend in recent memory. It has almost nothing to recommend it at all. I have been flipping channels, while doing assorted other things, for several hours, and the only thing I can find to watch is The Gangs Of New York, which I've seen so many times that I can damn-near recite the dialogue verbatim. 

 

Tweed: "You killed an elected official?"

Cutting: "Who elected him?"

Tweed: "You don't know what you've done to yourself."

Cutting: :::taps glass eye:::: "I know your works. You are neither cold nor hot. So because you are lukewarm, I shall spew you out of my mouth. You can build your filthy world without me. I took the father--I'll take the son. You tell young Vallon I'm going to paint Paradise Square with his blood. TWO coats! I'll festoon my bedchamber with his guts. As for you, mister Tammany-Fucking-Hall, you come down to the Points again and you will be dispatched by mine own hand. Now get back to your celebration and leave me eat in peace. I paid you fair."




Meanwhile, I've been working--finally--on a definitive, final sketch of my kitchen remodel. I haven't decided on color or anything--that's for another day--but I'm coming close to a structure, at least. Though I must admit, I'm leaning to one of those little alcove things, lined with brick, where the cooktop would go.

 

Other than that, I didn't do much of consequence...took up the carpet in the back bedroom, to reveal a floor so gross as to defy description. Apparently once, long ago, it was covered with a light-colored linoleum with a GOLD--metallic gold!--fleck in it. Then someone scraped that up and Asshole Tom Slaughter's men laid down the cheap padding and cheaper carpet--without first bothering to sweep up the floor, just like they did it in the rest of the house. So there were all sorts of tile-bits and nails and grime under the carpet pad, including about seven pennies in various states of corrosion. I don't think I'll carpet that room, not til I can get some foundation work done in the basement--I suspect that room is directly above the dampest part of the basement.

 

But THAT is going to be my creative haven. It's the one room I already know EXACTLY what I'm going to do with, decor-wise: bright yellow-orange paint, with my quilt on the wall, and my fabric squares. I have a really brilliant idea for the floor, but I'm not sure I can carry it off. I want to get a whole mess of those Armstrong vinyl tile squares, like the ones on my kitchen and hallway floor--but in different colors, oranges and reds and yellows and black, and then I want to do a mosaic on the floor of this back room--a big sunburst. If I could do it, it would be the coolest thing in the world.  I want to put a futon back there, too, so when T comes to visit me she can sleep in my happy-room instead of in LJ's guy-cave.

 

Speaking of LJ, my text message to him today says it all.
"I think we have different ideas of how much time we should spend together. More than zero would be a good start."


He called me immediately and promised to spend time with me. I'll believe it when it happens.





2 comments:

  1. This entire blog is some very heavy stuff told in an unapologetic tone. A very good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hi there, Anonymous! (Can I tell you, when I looked at the site meter and saw what domain you came from, I was a little jumpy-fied? Do you hear that a lot, I wonder?)

    Anyway--thanks for the compliments! And hell--thanks for spending that much time reading--most people don't, and it's encouraging to find one who does--and then thinks it's good, too.

    Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete