Friday, July 1, 2005

Significant?

Fridays before the holiday weekends are generally ghost towns among the staff at Place Where I Work--at least, among the higher-up staff. The nice part of that, of course, is the sudden ability to do whatever needs doing without having to report to six different people about where I'm going, what I'm doing and why.

So this afternoon, when I went to the other building on the way to one of our offsite offices and the Brit mentioned in passing that he had some errands to run, including a stop at the same office I was headed to, you can imagine who jumped at the chance to drive him there.

We spent most of the afternoon together, driving all over the North Shore in search of sidewalk chalk, a helium tank, and a network connection for the offsite office. We ended up with two out of three--the office just won't connect, but that's a problem for Tuesday morning, not Friday afternoon. And somewhere along the line, between the non-connecting office and the helium tank, he started talking about his home situation--most specifically, a couple of issues with his girlfriend, who may not be quite as cool as I envision her. Lots of yelling from her end of things, it sounds like, and some moderate-to-severe, totally unjustified trust issues, as well. He's always, up til now, painted a fairly-rosy picture of life chez Brit, so this was a departure--enough of a departure to give me pause.

He also told me a couple of other secrets, which I am not at liberty to discuss (yeah, I know--like anyone here could do anything with the info--but I PROMISED) but I'm glad he trusts me enough to tell me.

All in all, an interesting afternoon to say the least. Fridays are just the best.

1 comment:

  1. i love it when I can tell that you're happy just by the tone of your writing.

    ReplyDelete