Monday, October 25, 2004

Why I'm Not A Psychic, Either

In other news: I got my vacation days!!!



(Does anyone else think it's at least mildly pathetic that I'm THAT damn excited about two little itty-bitty vacation days? Seriously.)



But I have a feeling I'm gonna need it.



Things are getting really, really, really, really ugly at work. I'm in a position where I have to defend the whole department against some ill-considered changes being made to the database system--which I administer but which (because I was too busy with trivia that someone else could do, if only there was someone else to do it) I wasn't chosen to design. They want to do a massive rollout over Thanksgiving weekend, springing it on us when we return the following Monday--and the designer, the only guy who actually has control over the design (and who doesn't know a damn thing about our workflow, if his changes are any indication) is leaving for two weeks' vacation in Mid-December. And will be unreachable.



Meanwhile, everyone's programs will be at crucial points between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We won't be able to revert to the old system once the new system is up--regardless of any catastrophe. And if something goes wrong, I won't be able to fix it--because I've been completely shut out of the design loop.



I have to try to explain to the powers-that-be why this is a BAD thing. I have to try to tell them why we need more time and more testing before we make such a massive change, and why there's not the slightest chance that it's a good idea to do it one month from today.



People wonder sometimes why tech-folk are so arrogant, smug, and intolerable; why we act as though everyone is an idiot but us....



Well, this a prime example of why.



I don't expect anyone to listen--which means November and December, and possibly much longer, are going to be really rough for me. If they don't listen, and everything happens as I foresee, I might have to quit. I know I need to get out of that job, but I'd rather not go out like that!



So I'm gonna savor these two teeny little vacation days...believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment