Monday, May 23, 2005

Oh, the Hate

This morning I came into the office and said good morning to everyone.

This included Beverly, the Big Boss Bitch, who has the office next to mine.

She followed me into my office and we had the following conversation:

"This," she said, patting a laptop on my worktable, "is Kay's." Kay is her daughter, a sophomore in high school. I have been instructed that I am to update her operating system so that she can use her new iPod.

"Okay," I said. (I'm not happy about or particularly comfortable with doing this, but whatever.)

"Was that your oatmeal bowl in the sink?" she then asked.

"Yeah," I said. "I washed it when I came in--I forgot it was there."

"Well, I find it there often. Please remember to do your dishes."

"Sure, no problem," I said---because it wasn't. I don't expect anyone ELSE to do them; I just forgot it was there, was all.

But do you believe that??? The woman has no sense of appropriateness. First of all, to bring me her KIDS' computers to update--machines that have no bearing on the workplace, and this is not the first time by FAR that this has happened, by the way!--the next sentence out of her mouth should be nothing more admonitory than "Thank you," or "I really appreciate this." But to go from "Here's my kid's computer for you to work on" to "Oh, by the way, wash your dishes"--and for that to be my FIRST interaction of a Monday morning...

I have no Gigantic Bite-Me big enough to describe how much I despise this woman.

I went back downstairs (to stow the homemade cookies I brought for tomorrow's going-away party, which to me is rapidly becoming a case of pearls before big insensitive bitch-ass swine) and looked in the sink. Three coffee mugs and a bunch of assorted utensils. I'm surprised I wasn't told to wash THEM, as well.

5 comments:

  1. This happens more often than you'd realize...I'm talking about IT folks updating family computers for bosses. Not to mention using company credit to purchase said computers for family memebers and using company purchased software on those same computers...etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Play dumb next time. She can find another sucker to fix her kid's laptop because you "just don't know how."

    As far as your dish in the sink, next time throw up in there. If she asks you if it's yours, tell her you thought it was hers.

    I guess I'm not very nice if I would even think of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice...yeah, that's what the big tech guy told me too. Apparently where I work, it's considered one of the perks--at least in our department. I wonder, though, if that holds true in the organization as a whole...somehow I think not.

    eatmisery...Not very nice? Perhaps. Very very fuckin' funny and perfectly delightful to consider? Hell yeah! (But I'm sorta stuck with the laptop, since I'm the only tech and there are no further suckers in our org.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth is that people like your boss don't know they're being rude they have never been taught the skills. Inorder for your boss to change she would need therapy I doubt that will happen. My humble suggestion to you would be to tell her how you feel in a polite stern way. your only job should be related to work not her childs computer. Next time maybe suggest you would take the computer home and you would fix it for a fee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm..I don't get that perk. When I asked a co-worker to help me out, she flat out told me it wasn't her job! You should probably do the same.

    ReplyDelete