Thursday, September 2, 2004

Child Prodigy, 'r SOMEthin'.

When I was ten years old, I was infatuated with the tape recorder. I thought that was the best invention since Schnauzer dogs, caramel, and rock-n-roll combined. (Okay--it has not escaped my notice that the three mentioned items would result in a sticky, deafened hound. Jeez, people, I'm sleep-deprived; cut me some freakin' SLACK!)



ANYWAY.



I just LOVED to tape-record my voice. My best friends, Emma and Emmy (yes really; there were two of them, unrelated, both named Emily and we had to keep them straight SOMEHOW)--anyway, we used to make fake radio broadcasts together, fake newscasts and such, based upon our ten-year-old's perceptions of media. And even after they would go home, I'd still continue my "broadcasts".



There was a certain week in the summer of 1980 when the world did something that, to a ten-year-old, is a great affront: they pre-empted ALL prime-time TV on ALL THREE networks. Keep in mind, this was long before cable came to Chicago, and there was no WB, no UPN, no Fox--just ABC, NBC, and CBS--and ALL of them were showing the EXACT SAME THING: the convention.



Outraged as only a pre-teen geek can be, I took to my room and created my own version:



...the Skepublican Irrational Invention.



I don't remember the content; I'm sure it was fairly-lame--but (having watched P/Resident Mon(k)ey-Boy, his brilliant little hamster-less daughters, and Alan "Selfish Hedonists!" Keyes)...



...would anyone like to join me in a protest movement, towards an official name-change?

No comments:

Post a Comment