Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Repudiation

OK, Zorn. You know what?



I take it back.



I don't WANT to be on your list. I don't like stuffed shirts and I don't like people who speak ill of the dead, and based on what I see in this post in your blog, you're both of the above.



I'd tell you, if I thought it would matter at all, to read this post from CTA Tattler and especially its attached comments--but why ruin a good opinion with the facts? Like the fact that the individual you're complaining about, by all available evidence, wasn't even tagging when he was killed? (Oh, wait--that doesn't change your whole "tagging-is-bad" thesis, does it. But it might give you some further insights into the humanity of this person, upon whom you would have wished "hard time in the obscurity of state prison". Mighty nice of you, though, to qualify your statement with the part about "I don't wish death on (those who create graffiti)." You're a regular ol' softie, ain't you.)



It must be very nice to have an artistic sensibility which conforms so neatly to laws and customs. Of course, it pretty much guarantees that your work will also be acceptable within the mainstream of society...which might be nice from a financial angle, come to think of it--but with the mainstream of society being what it is, I'm not sure it's much of a recommendation.



"Vile, selfish, (and) moronic"?



Graffiti??



Leading a country to a misguided, misrepresented war--sure.

Stealing the pensions of hard-working people to fund one's own lavish lifestyle--hell yeah.

Calling into question the patriotism of a man who actually served his country while the questioner sat in safety and ease--yup.



Painting on a building or a train trestle or a garage door?



Not so much.



Hurling harsh words and indictments against someone who is no longer alive to defend himself, compounding the grief of his family and friends?



I think those adjectives apply, yes.



(PS--any taggers who might be reading this: I've got a nice blank garage door, and (unlike some folks) I respect what you do. E-mail me for directions.)

4 comments:

  1. "I don't wish death on those who deface our property... Yet nor do I wish any glory."

    I am pretty sure "yet nor do I wish" is not grammatically correct, either.

    -frm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, mercy. Don't tempt me to play Grammar Cop--I'm a former English teacher and it's taken me most of my adult life to repress those tendencies. And believe me, they come out MORE in situations where I'm peeved--so if I was in a nitpicky mood, believe me when I tell you I'd be diagramming sentences all over his blog--pouncing on every dangling participle, every split infinitive.

    Alas, I'm at work, so I must forbear. (Rats.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try hitting "refresh" on your browser...you've been on Zorn's blogroll for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I'd love to know how long "a while" is, though--I find it hard to believe that three separate computers (2 at work and this ol' virus-infested train-wreck) have cached versions THAT old. I know I checked about three weeks ago--roughly around the time that Alan Keyes was the big topic of conversation--and I wasn't there then...

    Not sure what to think of this. I suppose on one hand I should mutter something vaguely apologetic for my outrage at my "exclusion"...but I stand by the above post in regards to his treatment of Peter Berry's art and his death. I have myself lost someone whose life choices placed him outside the mainstream; knowing how I feel when I hear HIS memory impugned, my empathy is entirely with Berry's friends and family. Vitriol should be saved for the living.

    ReplyDelete