Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Midweek Update

I'm here.

Honestly.

I haven't given up on my blog.

I haven't done anything cataclysmically stupid.

Nothing is wrong.

Nothing is even particularly NOTICEABLE.

I'm just....busy.





But.

If you happen to be watching some news feed from Chicago some day soon...

And if you were to see something there, about a tech support coordinator who just spontaneously snapped one day, and who consequently beat the holy, living, self-satisfied, complacent FUCK out of one of her co-workers, and who subsequently went home, where she was found sitting in front of the TV, eating a bowl of Breyer's Heath Bar ice cream, and when asked "why did you do it?" proceeded to list a litany of personal and professional affronts ranging back for four and a half years and ending with the seemingly-innocent question "Do you remember what you were supposed to do this morning?"...



Well, peeps, that will be me. The blood-soaked lump of incoherent protoplasm--that will be Noreen.



Yes, I know it's sick and horrible to imagine such things. I'll never do it. But that fantasy represents one of my few sources of comfort in the workplace.



And I swear, if she asks me ONE MORE question to imply that I'm not doing my job..... The above-mentioned query, for example, which she asked instead of asking "What happened to that computer you were going to set up?"--because phrasing it THAT way would have given me the chance to answer "I was working on OTHER things for your program, which were more urgent because the consultant who needed them done was coming in at 8, and the computer I was going to set up would take ten minutes and that person wouldn't even be HERE til 9..." Whereas HER phrasing only allowed me to answer "um, not at the moment." (You tell me--how much do YOU remember at 8 AM, five minutes after walking in the door? Don't you need a few minutes to put down your bag, close out of "LIFE" mode and get yourself back into "WORK" mode?)



And then, later, as I'm setting up the computer, she's HOVERING over me--asking me fifteen-hundred questions. "Do we need that wire? Why are there two plugs over here? Whose computer is plugged into THAT port? Why aren't they plugged in over THERE? Why does this computer look different?"



Finally I said "Noreen? I can take it from here. But I appreciate your help."



(Hey, only HALF of it was a lie.)



I am seriously, sincerely beginning to despise my job.



And then I came home, and LJ and I had what was probably the closest thing to an "argument" we've ever had.



See, my car days are Mondays and Fridays. That's how we worked it out. Well, he told me Monday that he actually needs the car Friday, and said if he could have it Friday, I could take it Thursday. Unfortunately, we ran out of Pepsi last night, and I know him well enough to know that he'll never remember to stop at the store if I ask him; and we needed a few other things besides. So last night, before I went to bed, I stuck a note on the alarm panel--our household mailbox!--asking him if I could have the car. (Please note the syntax there: I asked. I did not tell. This will become important.)



He leaves the keys on the table, and I leave him sleeping. But then he calls me at work today--very curt, very obviously unhappy. "Call me when you get home." Pulling out of the Home Depot lot, I call him to see if he needs anything at the store. Half an hour later, as I'm walking out of the store (Western and Belmont)--guess who wants to know how long before I get home? I tell him 20 minutes. I get to Jackson and Central Park, fifteen minutes later--phone rings, guess who??



I finally get home, get the groceries in--he did help, to give him credit--but then the first words out of his mouth: "I'm gone..."



"You know," I said, as he walked out the door, "it's perfectly all right for you to TELL me if it's gonna fuck up your plans when I take the car..."



"Yeah, but you KNOW that already!" he replies. "I shouldn't even have to say nothin'." And leaves, with me mumbling after him.



Five minutes later, he calls. It's a half-apology, or maybe a two-thirds apology...and very telling. "I mean, it ain't like I can just tell you 'no, I need the car'--what am I supposed to do??"



"Well actually," I told him, "you really CAN say exactly that! I mean, I'm not tryin' to fuck up your plans...I just don't know from day to day how bad you need the car. So if you really DO need it, just SAY that."



What this tells me: he's not accustomed to women ASKING for something--he expects that we're TELLING him, even if there's a question mark at the end of the sentence. He's accustomed to manipulative women who expect him to read their minds and get pissed if they don't get what they want, 100% of the time.



If I can manage to convince him that I'm not one of those women--always ready to pounce and be angry over every little thing he does or says--and if he can convince me that he's not a lying, cheating, backstabbing user like CR was, I think we might actually be happy.



I wish I could say the same for my job. I really think I need to get the hell up out of there....there's really no way it can improve. The hierarchy is so solidified, so set in its ways, and it refuses to accept any meaningful effort at reform. And no one will force it to change its ways--too many people high-up who are friends with those above them.



Nepotism just sucks--especially from the outside.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think you should have to convince him of anything. If ya'll don't know each other well enough by now then I think it's a pretty lost cause. And also, if you have to ask permission to use a car which you paid for...that's also pretty messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wellll...It's not exactly like THAT. And it's certainly not that bad...To begin with, I wasn't so much asking if I could use the car...see, the way we've got it worked out is, we each get our own days (because we're both paying for it. If I was paying for it myself--believe you me, that man would be spending MUCH time on the bus. But since we're both putting money in--and especially since if he WASN'T putting money in, I wouldn't have been able to afford the car in the first place!--I feel like I should be considerate.) Anyway, the dispute wasn't so much about whether, but when. I see his point--though I see yours too. Like I said, if he wasn't paying for it too, things would be different.

    As for what each of us needs to be convinced of about the other--there's history there, on both sides, and we both came into this relationship very, VERY guarded about different things. Letting that guard down isn't easy for me--and knowing that, I don't necessarily expect it to be easy for HIM, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to be a party pooper...but be careful about work stuff on the blog...http://www.dooce.com/archives/dooced/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the above Anonymous:

    1. Thank you, actually, for your concern. It's odd to think that someone would actually give a crap--but comforting, in a strange sort of way.

    2. If anyone took the trouble to figure out where I worked, they would also--by sheer process-of-elimination, since I'm the only person in this organization who has this job--have discovered my Secret Identity. If THAT were to happen, I truly believe I would have bigger problems than joblessness. Lawsuits, for example. And some grossly pissed-off relatives.

    3. I'm not saying it would be IMPOSSIBLE to figure out who and where I am. Nothing is impossible, and technology is a much more powerful tool than we give it credit for. BUT--having said that: All names are pseudonyms. In some cases I've even changed peoples' genders. No identifying information about any entity--person, place, thing, idea, animal, vegetable, or mineral, and especially not about my employer--can be gleaned from this blog. I'm not perfectly safe, but I'm as safe as I can be.

    4. Which brings me to what the writer of dooce.com--the blog you referenced, which should really be updated more because it's quite well-written!--said:

    "As for those of you who think I was stupid to post things on my website about my job and about co-workers: I refuse to live in fear. I refuse to be censored. I’ve lived my life far too long in fear of disrupting expectations. I made a conscious decision when I conceived dooce.com that I would never bow to the intimidation of others, including employers or pussy-ass cocksmacks who think I should just stop complaining and be a good worker bee already. For those of you who think it wrong to speak up about matters that fundamentally bother you, go and join the fucking Mormon Church. Attend BYU. Take it up the ass and bleed. Whatever you do, don’t read dooce.com, and certainly don’t think for yourself. Scandalous!"

    I couldn't have said it better.

    There comes a point where we, as humans, have to stop being silent, because to be silent past that point would result in some interior disarray, something that could change you into one of those people you said you never wanted to become. For me, this blog is the expression of that need. And unfortunately, there are many things about my job which offer me two choices--the choice to be silent and seethe, or to say something and put it outside of me. I've tried, without success, to say something to the right people, in hopes of change; unfortunately, change would mean that THEY would have to act in unaccustomed ways, and so nothing happens. Thus--I speak here. No one listens here, either, but there's less disappointment when they don't--less investment in what others might think.

    And if they find out, and if I get fired...well, then, obviously it was time to go anyway. (A small dose of fatalism, maybe, but I've long ago learned not to try to control everything.)

    5. But really--thanks for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And another thing about that: If my real identity was revealed, and my employer found out about it, and I was fired, it would be a debate that would shake the foundations of the industry I'm in. The field in which I work (not tech--the people I tech FOR) is one in which freedoms of speech and ideas are paramount. To fire me for disagreeing with them pseudonymously would be to expose themselves as utter hypocrites, not to mention opening themselves to lawsuits. Of course, that wouldn't put any money in my pocket--but I'd at least feel better about being jobless, if such were the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gladys - I'm your anonymous from above. I found your site through the CTA tattler. Don't worry - dooce does update frequently - www.dooce.com. Isn't she hilarious? She is truly brave. (Especially since she puts her name and photo right there on the internet.)

    Your blog is entertaining - thanks for putting it out there!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous Sandy....

    Thanks for the compliments!! I think the dooce.com link I clicked on was a subject header, not the homepage--so I'll have to check it out more often!

    There's about to be more work-stuff on the blog--my best friend at work announced today that she's looking for another job. And that, should you wonder, sucks mightily. I have plenty to say, but it probably won't get said til Thursday--the finale of Amazing Race 5 is on tomorrow night, and Wednesday is the America's Next Top Model season premiere. (I'm pathetic. But I admit I'm pathetic. I make no effort to hide it.)

    Keep reading, if that didn't scare you off!!!

    ReplyDelete